diy solar

diy solar

Waterproof battery box

Bob666

Getting this engine for our sailboat dinghy:

Recommend watching video on that site also :)

We have tried wing foil surfing and are hooked. The kids would live to foil behind the dinghy using a cord to hold. Our current 6 hp gasoline outboard isn’t strong enough.

Here’s a video to illustrate:

The battery from Great White above looks sturdy.

After having watched:

I would like to build my own waterproof battery for the 10 hp electric outboard. Cheaper. Can I make that server rack battery water proof? Encase it somehow? Or is it better to get a stainless box, build everything from scratch with cells, BMS etc?

Got Daly BMS aboard the sailboat and I don’t like it, it “falls asleep” etc,

At home (the villa) we have 16 kWh battery bank with 123SmartBMS. There’s a circuit board on each cell. Works good and powerful! I can draw +10 kW three phase from the bank, in and out. Should I go for 123SmartBMS instead for the portable battery?

There are two approaches for the battery.

1. Portable
2. Less portable, put it inside a locked compartment in the bow of the dinghy. We need to swap dinghy then to something like Highfield:

Both need to be IP65 rated.

Perhaps start with portable. We have a 7OC dinghy today. Perhaps build 2 x 50 Ah batteries rather than a 100 Ah?

When in a marina the battery can easily be charged using shore power.

When out cruising without electricity we have a DIY 5.1 kWh (12v 400 Ah) LiFePO4 battery I built aboard the sailboat. And inverter. + 310 W solar panel. Can also start engine to get electricity.

Could use that to charge the dinghy battery. There will be two conversions:
12v DC -> 230v AC -> 48v DC

Could also build a 12v DC -> 48v DC step-up solution. One conversion less.

The dinghy is often parked in a dinghy dock, or lying beside the boat. I would like to buy a 100-200W foldable solar panel with large eyelets in each corner. You can run a wire through these and lock it together with the dinghy and the outboard.

Need to find a suitable 48v portable MPPT for that.

And what about ventilation? The battery bank in the house gets too hot when charging/discharging 10000 W so I am adding a thermostat and a computer fan.

A battery box in the sun ought to get hot. And when you go full throttle it’s 10 kW = 200 Amps.

I don’t understand how Great White’s battery doesn’t get too hot?

The vibrations on a boat can be quite significant. Very different use case than a battery designed for stationary use.

Not sure what the OEM battery is - I would be looking at cylindrical cell solutions.

As far as a marine MPPT 48 volt solar charge controller - midnight solar kid marine version. I actually have recently started a thread on it.

If you are looking for a premade battery EG4 has a marine 100Ah 48v battery…

For my dinghy I'm taking off my ePropulsion E80 (4kWh) and replacing it with a DIY pack of 2.9kWh using NMC (16p14s LG MJ1). It's much lighter, and I don't need the 4kWh of range of the heavy E80. I put my DIY pack in a Seahorse 720 waterproof box, and on top of being waterproof and easy to carry, it also makes my battery float. My outboard is a ePropulsion Navy 3.0, on a Highfield Classic 310.

The fire risk of NMC is a concern, versus LFP. But since my dinghy sits on davits over the water, I figured that risk is mitigated. Plus the pack is oversized for my needs and protected by a BMS with temperature sensing (JBD).

Back