diy solar

diy solar

off Grid Cargo Trailer RV Conversion and EG46000XP

daveo12345

I am considering an off grid cargo trailer which will be used to store a boat in Alaska and double as an RV living quarters. I am considering an offgrid all in one system such as EG46000XP. I will primarily use a gas generator (which it supports). However the EG4 does not support grid tie.

If i go to a campground which has electricity or i mooch at a friends 10amp service, could i "plug" the EG46000xp generator input into a 10amp shore power?

Also, i know the Victron Multiplus has a "grid / generator" assist function which augments dirty generator power or low amp shorepower with battery power. does the EG4 function in the same way?

I am considering an off grid cargo trailer which will be used to store a boat in Alaska and double as an RV living quarters. I am considering an offgrid all in one system such as EG46000XP. I will primarily use a gas generator (which it supports). However the EG4 does not support grid tie.

EG4's and their ilk are notorious for disliking generator power unless it's an inverter generator. There's a reason the Chargeverter exists.

If i go to a campground which has electricity or i mooch at a friends 10amp service, could i "plug" the EG46000xp generator input into a 10amp shore power?

You can supply the EG4 with grid power equivalent to its output power configuration. Single phase needs single phase. Split phase needs split phase. You will need to configure the EG4 to limit charge current. Additionally, while AC input is active, AC input is also passed through to loads, so your charging + loads must not exceed your input limit, e.g., 1200W in your case.

Also, i know the Victron Multiplus has a "grid / generator" assist function which augments dirty generator power or low amp shorepower with battery power. does the EG4 function in the same way?

No. To my knowledge Victron is unique in this feature.

Back