diy solar

diy solar

Complex Cargo Trailer Conversion in Alaska w/ Solar and Generator

daveo12345

I am new to solar and have a somewhat complex question.

I plan on converting a cargo trailer to a toy hauler / RV in which i will store my boat in Alaska during the winter and use it as an RV during the summer. I have reviewed all of Will's videos and also garnished alot of info from I ride tiny house.

MOST OF THE TIME IN ALASKA i will have access to extension cord 10 amp service. Most federal campground up there do not have 30 or 50 amp service but i stay alot at friend and can "mooch dock". However, when not mooch docking with 10 amp service I will have a generator. I also plan on installing a mini split heat pump for AC and heat.

I have contemplated two approaches

1) After watching Will's review of the charger-verter an approach is to always charge through the charge-verter, be it 10amp or generator amp, thus always protecting my system from "dirty" generator power. In this approach i would probably use a growwatt all in one. Under this approach i realize i'll have some AC to DC to AC efficiency loss. I suspect ill have poor solar at best due to sun positioning in Alaska.

2) Another approach i've though about is using a Victron Multiplus, which has a power / generator assist feature, which when mooch docking (10AMP), might be a nice approach for electric space heaters and the occasional mini split use

A third approach would be to use a combination where I'd have a 10amp plug connected to the Victron Multiplus for mooch docking and a chargerverter which would only be used to charge with generator power.

if anyone has thoughts on either approach i would appreciate

Back