diy solar

diy solar

Box Truck Conversion Electricals

BoxTruckLife

Hello!

I am converting a box truck into an RV and was wondering if I could get some initial advice from the experts here.

I'll be running the basics: lights, 12v fridge, various pumps and things.
The two heavier loads will be a desktop PC / mini-split AC

For charging sources I'll have 1200W solar (3x400w panels), alternator charging and I also have a 5K diesel generator running into a panel (this was there when I purchased the box truck), if all else fails.

Question #1: Should I build a separate 12v@100Ah system and a 48v@100Ah (x2) or should I forgo the 12v@100Ah system and put that money towards another 48v@100Ah battery?

Question #2: For an MPPT I was deciding between the EG 3000EHV-48 and the Growatt SPF 5000 ES. I realize these are two different price points, but the EG one sold out so there's a 6-8 week wait right now so I'm deciding if I should pull the plug on the 5000 ES. I don't know if there's any real benefit to keeping the battery and MPPT from the same manufacturer (communications maybe?).

Any advice would help! Thank you!

Have a look at this - you can pre-order for August.
I just saw that Ecoflow came out with this simple plug&play solution. I love the concept and think they are way ahead of the competition on where the market goes. BTW, I am not afiliated with any company. Just a beginner myself and I have made the initial turn towards Ecoflow.

Last edited:
Have a look at this - you can pre-order for August.
I just saw that Ecoflow came out with this simple plug&play solution. I love the concept and think they are way ahead of the competition on where the market goes. BTW, I am not afiliated with any company. Just a beginner myself and I have made the initial turn towards Ecoflow.
Thanks!
My plan is to build out a lifepo4 power bank. I have a smaller Ecoflow Delta Mini for portability, but for the RV I'm looking to build a larger battery bank to be able to run AC and the PC for work so far the larger Ecoflows are super expensive for what you get and an all in one unit + server batteries that Will has got on his videos seem to be the way to go.

I absolutely agree with the cost but I am intrigued by the simplicity of this. If you look at all the beautiful pictures of the self builds you still see cabling and shunts exposed. I am camping for years and every nook and cranny eventually fills up. I am just not too happy about exposed contacts. Ecoflow is plug&play and this new system comes with the breaker box that has the 110VAC and 12VDC side like every RV regular panel. Again, this simplicity comes at a higher cost but also you need to calculate the cost savings of all other components. I have not done the math as I just purchased the Delta Pro for some backup but seriously consider going the Ecoflow route for a full house potentially.

I absolutely agree with the cost but I am intrigued by the simplicity of this. If you look at all the beautiful pictures of the self builds you still see cabling and shunts exposed. I am camping for years and every nook and cranny eventually fills up. I am just not too happy about exposed contacts. Ecoflow is plug&play and this new system comes with the breaker box that has the 110VAC and 12VDC side like every RV regular panel. Again, this simplicity comes at a higher cost but also you need to calculate the cost savings of all other components. I have not done the math as I just purchased the Delta Pro for some backup but seriously consider going the Ecoflow route for a full house potentially.

Yeah definitely a tradeoff with each option! As I've learned DIY isn't always the most cost effective but I'm also one that values the knowledge that comes with it. This may not factor in to a lot of other people and having a as pre-built all in one system is definitely a route to go.

Back