diy solar

diy solar

Breaker vs megafuse

Desertsparky

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't find it. I am putting together a solar setup for my school bus. My main question is what is better the megafuses Will suggests on his component guide or breakers.. the breakers are slightly more money but I like the idea of having a breaker to reset rather than a fuse to find. Not to mention easily disconnect different items for troubleshooting. What is everyone's real world experience?

Breakers usually have a higher volt drop than fuses. Unless you obtain quality breakers, example Bussman, you may have issues, example high volt drop, overheating, erratic trip point. Avoid all the low cost breakers on Amazon/ eBay .
The main fuse at the lithium battery idealy class T, or for a 12v system MRBF fuse in a Blue Sea fuse holder is acceptable.
It's rare for a fuse to fail in well designed and commissioned system.
A suitable double pole disconnect is recomended in the solar feed.

Mike

Last edited:
I've been paying up to $35 or so for single megafuses... When you dual wire, gets expensive quick (if you keep spares).

Breakers usually have a higher volt drop than fuses. Unless you obtain quality breakers, example Bussman, you may have issues, example high volt drop, overheating, erratic trip point. Avoid all the low cost breakers on Amazon/ eBay .
Perfect that is exactly what I was afraid of. Fuses it is.

Back