diy solar

diy solar

Budget MPPT recommendation - Epever BN 40A 150V - was Eco-Worthy 60A 150V MPPT

AlpineJoe

I'm starting to put my off grid setup together finally. Looking to peel off ~ 200W of 24/7 power consumption, and have a power source if we have any planned or unplanned power shutdowns.

My system will be 24V with LiFePO4 batteries that total up to about 400AH of storage.

I'm going to feed this with 6 qty REC Solar 250W panels (Voc is 37.4V, Vmpp 30.7V, Impp 8.3A) in a 3 series, 2 parallel setup.

This is the controller I was looking to get. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275555190008
ECO-WORTHY 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 12/24/36/48V DC Input

The max input voltage is higher than the 3 series connection, and the 60A on paper is enough.

Any reason I shouldn't get this SCC?

Edit: now looking at the Epever BN series, 150V input 40A output as I don't want a fan.

Last edited:
Well, I have been using Outback Power Flexmax controllers for the past 7 years. They work 24x7 and not a single hiccup. They are built tough and for the long haul. But here is what really counts: MPPT is a computer software program in the firmware of the controller. The task of the program is to take an input voltage and amperage from the panels and create a new output voltage and amperage such that the batteries charge faster. Amps go into batteries, volts don't. Brand name controllers like Outback, Morningstar, etc are quality products that work the best. doesn't mean this one won't too. it's just that the others will. Depends on your time and budget.

I have not used Ecoworthy but the specs look OK and should work.

Are you doing ground mount or roof?
What I want to do eventually - Roof mount on my composite roof but facing West'ish. This is the shortest run from the panels to the battery pack and not visible from the street. If I can find someone to professionally come in and put down rails and my panels for a good price, I'd do that.

In the mean time, what I am currently doing is laying them flat on the roof of my sun room. I'll be adding a slight tilt so moisture and dirt run off the panels instead of just building up on them.

Looking for bulk wire recommendations too to make the MC4 connections to my SCC.

Well, I have been using Outback Power Flexmax controllers for the past 7 years. They work 24x7 and not a single hiccup. They are built tough and for the long haul. But here is what really counts: MPPT is a computer software program in the firmware of the controller. The task of the program is to take an input voltage and amperage from the panels and create a new output voltage and amperage such that the batteries charge faster. Amps go into batteries, volts don't. Brand name controllers like Outback, Morningstar, etc are quality products that work the best. doesn't mean this one won't too. it's just that the others will. Depends on your time and budget.
Budget is low, but I don't want stuff that is clearly trash. Would love to have even higher input voltage to minimize wire costs and I2R losses , but the 'value' point appears to top out at 150V currently.

What I want to do eventually - Roof mount on my composite roof but facing West'ish. This is the shortest run from the panels to the battery pack and not visible from the street. If I can find someone to professionally come in and put down rails and my panels for a good price, I'd do that.

In the mean time, what I am currently doing is laying them flat on the roof of my sun room. I'll be adding a slight tilt so moisture and dirt run off the panels instead of just building up on them.

Looking for bulk wire recommendations too to make the MC4 connections to my SCC.
Not recommend you lay solar panels flat. They need air circulation behind them or excess heat from the roof can damage cells.

You can get rails on Amazon to lift them up.

Arrgh! I'm now leaning towards NOT getting the Eco Worthy as I don't like the fan. Would rather have something that is passively cooled for longevity. The Epever BN 40A series looks interesting and industrial.

Close to pulling the trigger on the Epever 4215BN. I see folks with issues with Epevers getting stuck in a local maximum MPPT set point, but I don’t see folks having it with the BN series.

Pluses for the BN I see is large terminals, passive cooling, history of solid performance. Would likely parallel another one down the road when I get more panels.

Anyone have any absolute deal breakers on why I shouldn’t get a 4215BN? This will be with 1.5KW of solar into a 24V LFP bank of ~ 10KWH capacity.

Epever are okay, good programmability. My Tracers have voltage spiking issues which give mini inverter blackouts but it's not a huge problem for me (that inverter only runs lights and fans)

Epever are okay, good programmability. My Tracers have voltage spiking issues which give mini inverter blackouts but it's not a huge problem for me (that inverter only runs lights and fans)
Is that due to the MPPT tracking being slow and the sun breaking through the clouds? Or is it part of the MPPT searching that is doing it?

And what batteries are you running? I have LFP which I think have low enough internal resistance to not allow the spiking to pass through.

Is that due to the MPPT tracking being slow and the sun breaking through the clouds? Or is it part of the MPPT searching that is doing it?

And what batteries are you running? I have LFP which I think have low enough internal resistance to not allow the spiking to pass through.

Yes, cloud edge effects and large loads switched off, the tracers are slow to react. Not saying it happens to all Epevers. I only have experience with my 100v AN Tracers.

Agm & Gel, I'd be curious to observe performance with LFP.

Yes, cloud edge effects and large loads switched off, the tracers are slow to react. Not saying it happens to all Epevers. I only have experience with my 100v AN Tracers.

Agm & Gel, I'd be curious to observe performance with LFP.
Thanks for the details. I see that my 4215BN has shipped - with luck I'll have it in time to play this weekend. I don't have any logging capability yet, but did buy a Victron Smartshunt. Not sure if it's fast enough to see voltage spikes.

Thanks for the details. I see that my 4215BN has shipped - with luck I'll have it in time to play this weekend. I don't have any logging capability yet, but did buy a Victron Smartshunt. Not sure if it's fast enough to see voltage spikes.
Got the EP 4215BN today but the ebay seller forgot to include the MT50 display and cable. Also they shipped it in the EPever box with no additional outer box or cushioning. One corner of the SCC is damaged a little.

I picked up 6 qty Rec Solar 250W panels today and disappointed that I wont get to play with my setup this weekend due to the missing MT50 display.

BTW, the manual that comes with the 4215BN has a table showing the settings to use for LFP batteries in 12 and 24V configuration.

The Ebay seller is sending out an MT50 display. Once I get that I'll be able to tell if the controller was damaged in shipping.

In other news, I have my panels flat on the sunroom roof other than I put cut up 80/20 extrusions under them to gap them to allow for limited ventilation and for the wire run.

So disappointed in my sun conditions though on that flat roof. My lot is small and the neighbors hedges and the power line shadows I can tell are going to limit how much solar I can produce. I really need to figure out a way to inexpensively put these panels on my composite shingle roof.

Arrgh! I'm now leaning towards NOT getting the Eco Worthy as I don't like the fan. Would rather have something that is passively cooled for longevity. The Epever BN 40A series looks interesting and industrial.

@Rednecktek has shared before that he had problems with Epever controllers dropping the MPPT way too often, which meant it spent a lot of time tracking it and not producing as much power as it could.

I switched from a Renogy $ controller to a Victron $$ and the production has improved by about 30% in similar conditions, plus the Victron doesn’t anger my battery’s BMS.

@Rednecktek has shared before that he had problems with Epever controllers dropping the MPPT way too often, which meant it spent a lot of time tracking it and not producing as much power as it could.

I switched from a Renogy $ controller to a Victron $$ and the production has improved by about 30% in similar conditions, plus the Victron doesn’t anger my battery’s BMS.
I read up on the EPevers dropping out of MPPT and from what I could gather, it wasn't the BN series. I hope that's true.

I do know that I have more panels than my single 4215BN can handle, so I will be looking for another SCC. Right now I will be feeding the BN with 3S2P REC Solar 250W panels, but have another 3 panels of ~ 225W size that will also be put into use. With the flat mount, and annoying shadows, I hope to at least get some decent production to offload 100 - 200W of 24/7 power use onto solar.

What I really need now is solar logging software to see how I'm doing with the current setup.

Both my AN's and BN's did the same thing, just for reference. Sadly, I've had much better luck with my Sunsythis than any of my EPEvers.
Thanks for letting me know. Putting a logger together is now a priority for me as I need to see if I’ll have the stuck problem, but also to know if my panel’s current position is going to produce enough energy for me.

Back