diy solar

diy solar

Building power backup system in Ukraine on a low budget with ability to expand and to add solar panels in the future

Nerior

I work as a freelance and comics artist and have about 1500$ to spend. My current goal is to have backup power for my working space with gaming desktop PC & 3 displays. Later I want to save enough to have enough backup power for the rest of the house, which includes second desktop PC, fridge and 1.5kw well pump. Third goal would be the solar panels.
Our current blackout schedule is 3 hours uptime 3 hours downtime. This is the setup that I found from googling:
  • PowMr 3200VA 3000W Solar Inverter 24V $302
  • LiFePO4 280AH EVE 3.2V (8PCS 280AH) $1358
  • Jk Bms Active Balance (B2A8S20P) $98
Total: 1758$

Originally I planned to go with only 4 EVE, but it seems they won't work with 24V inverter, so 8 batteries is a must. Do I need to buy anything else for this setup to work? How many solar panels do I need for such system at minimum and maximum?
Any help is appreciated

I work as a freelance and comics artist and have about 1500$ to spend. My current goal is to have backup power for my working space with gaming desktop PC & 3 displays. Later I want to save enough to have enough backup power for the rest of the house, which includes second desktop PC, fridge and 1.5kw well pump. Third goal would be the solar panels.
Our current blackout schedule is 3 hours uptime 3 hours downtime. This is the setup that I found from googling:
  • PowMr 3200VA 3000W Solar Inverter 24V $302
  • LiFePO4 280AH EVE 3.2V (8PCS 280AH) $1358
  • Jk Bms Active Balance (B2A8S20P) $98
Total: 1758$

Originally I planned to go with only 4 EVE, but it seems they won't work with 24V inverter, so 8 batteries is a must. Do I need to buy anything else for this setup to work? How many solar panels do I need for such system at minimum and maximum?
Any help is appreciated

Step 1 is to determine how many kWh you need to supply, i.e., how many watts do they use and how long do you want to use them.

Once you have that number, you can design a sensible system.

Step 1 is to determine how many kWh you need to supply, i.e., how many watts do they use and how long do you want to use them.

Once you have that number, you can design a sensible system.

At least to be able to use my working pc for 4 hours, that is 800Wh in max load. Maybe to turn on 1.5kw well pump 3-4 times a day for a few minutes. I was just wondering if there anything else I need to get this system running? Delivery from China takes a while to here so I would like to know if I missed anything :unsure:

I'd start by purchasing a clamp meter that can measure AC and DC inrush and clamping your well pump. Once you know the surge current of the pump you can decide on an invertor. You can also use the meter to get actual consumption of your PC.

Also check the w/h price of other size cells, iirc the 230ah were the best buy.
Don't forget fuses / breakers / wire / crimpers / a shunt if you don't already have...

Back