diy solar

diy solar

Burned by AliExpress

groot59

I have generally had pretty good success buying batteries and cells through AliExpress, but this last one is a headscratcher....

I purchased a 24V 300Ahr LiFePO4, and on receipt it felt really light and battery box (which was appropriate size) was significantly imbalanced (felt empty on one end). The measured weight is 12kg. I did a quick undocumented drawn down test on it and the measured capacity is about 50Ahr.

My contention is that this battery should contain 8 300A-hr cells each weighing 5.5kg, so this battery should weigh at least 44kg + case and BMS (The weight is close to expected for a 50Ahr battery)

AliExpress is rejecting my dispute based on weight and doesn't like my draw-down test methodology (Using my Victron system data logging).

Any thoughts on how to best provide evidence that this battery does not meet the stated capacity.

Will, any interest in doing a tear-down? Link is below.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256....0.0.6c8238dacJoJkt&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

John G

My experience with Aliexpress is to never buy from any business that list themselves as Store1234567 whatever. They pop up and disappear quickly.

Yes a 24vDC 300ah battery must contain 8 cells of 300ah capacity. What they weigh will depend a lot on if they are prismatic or pouch. The proper method of load testing will likely require a recognized load tester rather than an informal draw down test of your own. Though you are undoubtedly correct that what you got was not what is stated in the ad. To get the vendor to stand behind its claims is going to be a process which likely you will get little help from Aliexpress other than a return refund.

By and large you should consider anything you buy from Aliexpress to be a gamble. Use best practices to avoid the obvious fakes.

Best practice is to avoid ali, and temu. Resolution to issues is always a crap shoot with Alibaba and Pindoudou at best. Avoid China as much as possible.

Last edited:
No mistake here. Blatant direct fraud and theft. Of course seller will reject all methods of demonstrating the fraud. In time Ali will close the store and they will reopen another shortly if they don't already have several going at the same time. Cancel the transaction on your credit card as product fraud and misrepresentation is the most direct way to get a refund. Be sure to impose a block filter for any future transactions for the seller.

Once you have the refund don't forget to leave honest facts on the product review comments.

My experience with Aliexpress is to never buy from any business that list themselves as Store1234567 whatever. They pop up and disappear quickly.

Yes a 24vDC 300ah battery must contain 8 cells of 300ah capacity. What they weigh will depend a lot on if they are prismatic or pouch. The proper method of load testing will likely require a recognized load tester rather than an informal draw down test of your own. Though you are undoubtedly correct that what you got was not what is stated in the ad. To get the vendor to stand behind its claims is going to be a process which likely you will get little help from Aliexpress other than a return refund.

By and large you should consider anything you buy from Aliexpress to be a gamble. Use best practices to avoid the obvious fakes.
I have had the same experience with the "Store12345etc" stores as well and had not dealt with them.... Just got caught up in the "too good to be true deal" where all the specs and dimensions appeared to be ok (weight not listed) and threw the dice. Thank God for AMEX and the other card companies for protecting us from crooks.

Back