diy solar

diy solar

Buss bar or no buss bar

Djbodya

Hey my good people.
Here is what I'm faced with, in building 2 identical systems.
I am adding on extra battery to both of them, and need assistance in some wire setup.
Here are my system with a bussbar scenario and no bussbar.
Screenshot_20221031_225724_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221031_225441_Gallery.jpg

The wires and network cables will be cut to fit properly and neatly and I will be using 2AWG cable for the battery's.
My loads will run at maybe 4500W to 5000W output spike, ( so will never push the system to max at all, don't plan to). My assumption is that it will handle anything with the 2gage wire.
Befor I drop $$$ on the buss bars, I would like to have your opinion and good knowledge about them and if I need them at all. I will not be adding more batteries will just have the 2 connected for a portable thing I can roll around..

Do I need buss bars or do I not?

Thanks..

You don't. But consider putting the batteries in such a way, that the cell vents are at the top. With the current setup, the cells are on the wide side and this will shorten their life.

Check this article. And despite the fact that it is kind of OK for the cells to lie on the short side it is still advised to have them with the terminals facing up.

Bus bars have a great purpose and usefulness.
But with only two batteries, not that critical IMO.

You don't. But consider putting the batteries in such a way, that the cell vents are at the top. With the current setup, the cells are on the wide side and this will shorten their life.

Check this article. And despite the fact that it is kind of OK for the cells to lie on the short side it is still advised to have them with the terminals facing up.
Looks like the article is for liquid cells the battery I'm using is lithium iron phosphate. So there is no issue of it being used sideways. Or am I missing something.?

I would use the bus bars, if you go to a third battery some day, it will be that much simplier.
Use the same wire ga and length from each battery to the bus bar and you will remain better balance on charge and discharge.

Back