diy solar

diy solar

Cable Lugs (for MCBs) vs Ferrule?

ragnakore

Last time I used Ferrule Connectors, I got brass/bronze.
Frustrated, I thought of using Copper Tubes or Butt Connectors to make Ferrule terminals:

1707987218897.png

Having said that, I found this item (called Cable Lug).
1707987058289.jpeg
What are your opinions regarding these two for high current connections (10A ~ 100A)?

Thanks.

Last time I used Ferrule Connectors, I got brass/bronze.
Frustrated, I thought of using Copper Tubes or Butt Connectors to make Ferrule terminals:

View attachment 195677

Having said that, I found this item (called Cable Lug).
View attachment 195676
What are your opinions regarding these two for high current connections (10A ~ 100A)?

Thanks.
If they are the same as I got from Aliexpress, then they are great!
Perfect solution, because the crimp is solid (using hydraulic crimper) and the connection inside terminals is also good (given large enough terminals).
I use them to connect my 24v batteries to the 3kw inverter. While doing some stress testing (around 2000w of load) I didn't notice any overheat or problems.
The only downside is that some terminal blocks are too tight to fit these one next to the other.
As you can see mine are slightly at an angle, using 2AWG wire and these "lug-ferrules":
20230805_234747.jpg

I used them for 35mm2 into a 100A breaker, hmmm they do get quite warm at sustained 80-90A. Thinking to swap it for a breaker with proper lugs.

Looking at the connector, going into a standard round terminal would have a minimal amount of contact with the outside of the terminal. The torque spec accounts for bare wire being screwed into the terminal, should be similar with a ferrule. Using this flat connector would require an ample amount of torque to round it out to the terminal.

Back