diy solar

diy solar

2 cable lugs stacked on a single "busbar" (switch-disconnector terminal)

silverstone

Solar Enthusiast
Hi,

I am considering connecting 2 cable lugs for each polarity at the Switch Disconnector (one at the "front" of the terminal/busbar, 1 at the "back" of the terminal/busbar). Bolt size is M10.

I have ABB OT400E03 Switch-Disconnector for my Battery
1694343870299.png

I also have WAGO 285-1185 for use with temporary connections as well as precharge circuit:
1694343923722.png

I was thinking of going from inverter terminal to ABB Switch-Disconnector with one cable, then put another cable going from the same point of the Switch-Disconnector to the WAGO terminal. Instead of letting ALL the current flow through the WAGO terminals during normal operation.

Is there some issue, mechanically, in having 2 lugs on opposite sides of the same busbar/terminal ?

I assume that 1 bolt + 1 flat washer DIN 9021 + cable lug 1 + busbar/terminal + cable lug 2 + flat washer DIN 9021 + conical washer DIN 6796 / Belleville + Nut as usual should do the job alright. Or is another DIN 6796 / Belleville Conical Washer on the other cable lug also needed ?

Or is this a bad practice in general ?

Thank you for your help (y)

I don't see issue with doing that. It is common and even recommended in many cases to attach multiple lugs to same connector on a busbar for instance. Only issue would be if something specifically says it is rated for only 1.

Stacking no more than two lugs is acceptable.
Two lugs on opposite sides of a bus is better than stacking them on the same side.

Stacking no more than two lugs is acceptable.
Two lugs on opposite sides of a bus is better than stacking them on the same side.
And we agree, the front and back lug are turned 180° one with respect to the other, right ?
In that way there is some space between the cables so that they don't collide with each other.

One or two conical / Belleville washers though ?

Back