diy solar

diy solar

CALB cells CA series vs SE series (Grey stamped vs Blue Ribbed)

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
Does anyone know the difference between the CALB CA and SE series cells? I can find a spec sheet (PDF) for the CA series on the CALB USA website but I haven't been able to learn much about the SE (blue) cells. I'm interested in both the construction/strength of the cells as well as the differences in chemical/electrical/thermal characteristics.

Edit: Added CALB SE180AHA (Blue ribbed plastic) spec sheet and CALB CA40 (Grey stamped plastic) spec sheet

Attachments

• SE180AHA specification.pdf
    765.6 KB · Views: 36
  • CA40_specifications.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I found this comparison on the CALB USA website:

image-asset.png

Its pretty basic comparison but it looks like the only real difference is a higher maximum discharge current of 2C for the CA series and 1C for the SE series.

The datasheet I found on the SE180 shows the last iteration G/0 of the SE180 was produced in 2016.

This could be because that was the last time the SE blue cells were produced and the CA (grey) cells are the newer generation, or its possible the datasheet I have is from 2016 and there are newer blue cells made after the datasheet was released.

Why not fire of a question to CALB if you have concerns.

The attached screenshot from a reseller has a little more info. “The difference between SE and CA series batteries is the SE has higher energy density, and the CA has internal heat separators and 2-3% higher series/pack capacity.”

Attachments

• 4EFDA61A-A068-40EF-B00D-1AC09D3B9CB4.jpeg
    4EFDA61A-A068-40EF-B00D-1AC09D3B9CB4.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 39
The attached screenshot from a reseller has a little more info. “The difference between SE and CA series batteries is the SE has higher energy density, and the CA has internal heat separators and 2-3% higher series/pack capacity.”

Good info, thanks!

If the chart I supplied earlier is accurate (came from CALB's US website so I assume it is) the size and weight are almost identical. The Grey cells are 4mm thinner in width and 2mm thinner in length. But that is pretty much negligible for the size of battery bank any of us would be building. The extra width and length may or may not be due to the ribs on the blue cells.

ModelAmp Hours (nominal)Weight kgLength mmWidth mmHeight mm
SE180 (Blue)1805.618271279
CA180 (Grey)1805.618067279

Last edited:
Just saw that its the SE series that apparently has higher energy density not the CA series, how is energy density measured?

Why not fire of a question to CALB if you have concerns.

That's a sensible idea, which explains why I hadn't considered it :)

I reached out to CALB USA, I'll post the response when I receive it.

Well its been 5 days since I reached out to CALB-USA, seems like they probably won't be responding, I guess I'll try to reach out to CALB proper in China, but I was really hoping to avoid the language barrier.

Found a very informative post from Jack Rickards on this topic.

Found a very informative post from Jack Rickards on this topic.

Good find, this is a great resource! Thank you.

Incidentally, I just bought 16 CALB SE180 AH cells for $109.00 each. With $294.00 shipping. These are genuine CALB cells that come with the bus bars, bolts and washers. Here's the link if interested.

Well if that evtv source is still correct today, that seems to say theCA180 is better over the SE200 which i was eyeing for more capacity. not worth it imo, stay with CA series.

I think the difference between them would only show up when pulling very high current from them, likely .5C and higher. This would be the case in electric vehicles, but not common in solar power systems, other than surges. From what I gather the CA series experiences less loss of capacity at higher temperatures. All things being equal, I would say the CA series is a better buy if the price is the same as the SE series or you need them for their high temperature performance.

Incidentally, I just bought 16 CALB SE180 AH cells for $109.00 each. With $294.00 shipping. These are genuine CALB cells that come with the bus bars, bolts and washers. Here's the link if interested.

Please capacity test your cells from Dongguan Huanhuan Energy! I ordered 32 CALB SE200 cells from them and they were clearly used. They only tested at around 170Ah when brand new cells are 210-220Ah. The terminals also had signs of corrosion. Only got a tiny fraction of my money back from Alibaba. My opinion is that they're straight up scammers. Be careful!

More details here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/alibaba-lifepo4-batteries.90/post-34974

I have since procured genuine grade A cells from other vendors that test at the proper capacity as expected with the same testing equipment, so I am 100% confident that Dongguan Huanhuan is scamming people with used cells.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out when I receive them.

Please capacity test your cells from Dongguan Huanhuan Energy! I ordered 32 CALB SE200 cells from them and they were clearly used. They only tested at around 170Ah when brand new cells are 210-220Ah. The terminals also had signs of corrosion. Only got a tiny fraction of my money back from Alibaba. My opinion is that they're straight up scammers. Be careful!

More details here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/alibaba-lifepo4-batteries.90/post-34974

I have since procured genuine grade A cells from other vendors that test at the proper capacity as expected with the same testing equipment, so I am 100% confident that Dongguan Huanhuan is scamming people with used cells.
I just replied to you earlier comment where you were first identifying this issue. I have the same issue with 64 cells from Huanhuan Energy/Alibaba and I propose we start assembling all those with the same issue and proceed along legal lines and by contacting the international trade authorities. Are you interested?

Back