diy solar

diy solar

Calculating windload

stuffnjunk

I've researched my areas calculated wind load, however, the formulas I am seeing go for a flat surface. If the panels are angled on a ground array, does that change the equation? I also understand that gaps between panels could lower the force applied vs. it being a one solid surface so to speak. I'm not worried about a wooden array, as it would be 4x6 sunk into the ground at least 36" and concreted. I'm thinking about putting it higher off the ground, mainly to make mowing the field easier. I guess I don't have to worry about calculating a snow load, as every video I have seen show the snow melting off bifacials quickly.

The racking companies have free estimation software on their web pages. You input the panel array, the ground angle, wind speed, etc. and it tells you the forces involved and then suggests a way to build your ground mount with their materials. Play with different panel configurations and get a feel for how the force changes with total area and angle for your wind speed.

The racking companies have free estimation software on their web pages. You input the panel array, the ground angle, wind speed, etc. and it tells you the forces involved and then suggests a way to build your ground mount with their materials. Play with different panel configurations and get a feel for how the force changes with total area and angle for your wind speed.
Thanks. I never looked at their websites because I was never going to use their stuff. Appreciate the tip. I was just going PT lumber and Unistrut.

Back