diy solar

diy solar

Can’t seem to find a AC Blade disconnect that isn’t the size of a small refrigerator.

cst

Hello All,
I can’t seem to find a simple AC Blade disconnect for a 200amp service that isn’t the size of a small refrigerator.

I have DYI’d in PV panels and a LG Home8 system into my house. The LG system ingests Grid (through meter), PV panels (via inverter), and LG battery, then sends back 200amp AC to house in 3/0 awg. I live in California where the code requires an exterior visible single Blade style AC disconnect.

The preexisting wire from Meter / Main Panel (thought a single 200 amp breaker) which feeds two Sub-Panels in the house through 3/0 awg. From Grid / Meter to LG system is 3/0awg. From LG back to the house Sub-Panels is 3/0 awg.

From what I can tell, I only need a 60amp disconnect, but to accommodate my 3/0awg wire, it seems I need a huge (31” x 16”) disconnect box. As the Blade disconnect is not a overcurrent protection device (just a visible AC disconnect), it can be rated higher than 60 amps.

In other words, my wire gauge seems to be dictating my AC disconnect box and breakers — this seems (or me) stupid. Anything ideas? Please…. :(

If your wire is too large for the disconnect box terminals get a reducer for the ends. Such as a 3/0 awg to 1/0 awg reducer.

Thanks for the responses, maybe I should have pointed out that the original wiring was all 3/0. Utility service from meter to 2 200amp sub-panels is 3/0. The service run to the LG controller is required to be 200 amps running on 3/0. And the feed from the LG controller returns 200 amps to the sub-panels on more 3/0. If I didn't need a Blade disconnect I would simply tie the 3/0s back in -- which would be super easy. Doesn't the Blade Disconnect need to be rated for 200 amps?

And out of the disconnect I wanted to put two 200amp breakers OR two 100 breakers to tie back into the sub-panels instead of splicing in with Polaris multi Taps

You did point out that it was 3/0 wire. However you stated you thought you could get by with a 60 amp disconnect. If you need a 200 amp one than you will have to allow for the size they come as.

Being as your location is California you likely will have to get permits and approved installation.

My system is 7400 / 240VAC = 30 A – if I de-rate for temperature, wire resistance losses, soiling etc, then 80% of that is 24 A to be safe I need at least a 60A disconnect – it can be rated higher than the current on the circuit, because it is not an overcurrent protection device.

-- plus all that I can read, 60amp seems to be standard. But the LG as well as the grid is 200amps. so I now I'm past my knowledge level. The PV solar dealer also says 60amp disconnect, the electric supply guys won't sell me anything less than these dimensionally huge 200amp disconnect boxes and giant breaker busbar systems. So now Im lost
thanks

If the battery/inverter thing requires 000, seems like they must support a pretty large amperage pass through.

Can you find the spec sheet or info in the manual for amperage the system can pass through?

Back