diy solar

diy solar

Can a string inverter be mounted under the panels (groundmount)?

emangual

Can a string inverter be mounted under the panels (groundmount) and the AC feed ran to the house (approx 70 ft/ 21m)? And just FYI, I don't plan on using micro inverters.
Right now my initial plan is to use 48, 395 W panels with 2 Solis 10K inverters. Mount the inverters under the ground mount and run the AC lines to the meter connect (through a disconnect box). If anyone has an inverter mounted under a ground mount system can you please share pics. Thanks.

I am not familiar with your inverters but I have designed several systems with the inverter installed under the panels. The inverters will need to be rated NEMA 3R (or the enclosure they are mounted in) at a minimum-NEMA 4X would be better. These designs use Fronius inverters that are rated 4X.

If you end up with an enclosure for the inverters, watch out for thermal problems!

The question wasn't, if I would do it.
That answer is no.
I meant you could hook up any string inverter you want under the panels, regardless of weather proofing.. depending on how long you want it to last. :)

Even a properly rated one, you should keep it a fair distance from the underside of those panels.. it gets hot under there.

That’s how most Sunny Boys are mounted (mIne are inside though for several reasons), not sure if their replacement, Sunny Energy, is rated for the same.

Thanks for all the replies, I actually borrowed the idea of mounting the inverters under the array from a local solar install company that does it that way. Yes the inverters are rated for the environment they'll be in, and anywhere I put the inverters will be hot. For example, my garage was 120 F at one point this summer. This is NW TX.

I'd recommend comparing wire pricing. Typically, I think you'd save money running the PV wires a long distance vs the AC wiring.
PV voltage is higher, so smaller conductors because the current is lower.
Plus just 2 current carrying conductors, not 3.

I'd recommend comparing wire pricing. Typically, I think you'd save money running the PV wires a long distance vs the AC wiring.
PV voltage is higher, so smaller conductors because the current is lower.
Plus just 2 current carrying conductors, not 3.
This one of my reasons that I mentioned. 280 ft pull over copper. With AC, I would have needed much bigger wires. I can get up to 500v on a sunny and cold day with panels in series. And can get away with going with much AC smaller wires going into my primary 200 Amp circuit panel (I only have 100 Amps continuous @ 240v to play with but it is also my distribution box, as I’m off grid, and I wanted overkill).

This in my power shed which branches off to other buildings and sub panels (heavy gauge Aluminum 3 phase service type wire used for this, in case I go 3 phase later).

Some of my other buildings may get Sunny Boys or Sunny Energy installed in them them as well as my system (SMA) is grid forming and I can install more panels and line inverters elsewhere.

When I run out of power for various buildings, I will install complete systems. Perhaps “waterfalled” from the solar shed system, perhaps stand alone. Or go with the SMA multicluster box for one big 208v system (thus wiring for 3-phase) but lightning strikes scares me away from this.

Last edited:
Back