diy solar

diy solar

Can an Ingery Flex 1500 power off grid cabin?

hendrickson8895

I want to purchase an Inergy system for our offgrid cabin. How do you wire in the flex to run outlets, ceiling fan, and porch lights? I would like to wire it so I can just grab the 1500 plug it into something when I arrive and have it power a panel or separate circuits. Can this be done with that system? Their customer service didn't seem confident in their answers via phone. Thanks!

Install a 100A subpanel like this one:

Install a couple breakers in the subpanel and run wiring to the outlet boxes, ceiling fan box and light boxes just like a normal home installation. Don't use Romex in any exposed locations, its only for inside walls and attics, not to mention how bad it looks. For surface mount wiring use MC cable or decorative wiremold.

The subpanel mentioned above has main lugs (no main breaker) for the incoming AC. Get an extension cord, 12gauge wire, cut off the opposite end and hard wire directly into the subpanel lugs. Leave the plug hanging. All you have to do upon arrival is set the Flex 1500 next to the subpanel and plug in the cord.

If you only need 3 circuits (3 breakers) then only one of the Hot lugs needs to be wired. If you need more than 3 circuits then the hot wire needs to be split and connected to both Hot lugs. On course this will still only be a 120V panel.

It is less than the power from a single 15 amp breaker in your home.

Just plug in an extension cord.

Think about it like you would a single outlet in your house - but a little less. That is what it can do.

Nothing wrong with that but you have to be realistic.

Imagine that you could run an extension cord from your garage at home to your cabin with no losses. What would you plug into it? That is what it can (almost ) do.

Back