diy solar

diy solar

can anybody recommend me a good bms ?

Metricsys

I'm waiting for my eve 280a cells for a 24v set. there are just too many threads and videos out there and I just don't see a reliable bms brand that everyone agreed to. JBD JK or seplos? or most people have moved to server rack already?

JBD and Pace seem to be the go-to options right now
thank you for your reply. At this point, I'd like to buy a server rack instead a diy battery but I just don't see a good option for 24v system for RV. All those server rack are monster 48v for whole house.

thank you for your reply. At this point, I'd like to buy a server rack instead a diy battery but I just don't see a good option for 24v system for RV. All those server rack are monster 48v for whole house.

Here's one example of a EG4 24v rack battery:

Will it be in a climate controlled environment though? Some shelf batteries like Trophy have heaters built into them.

EDIT:
I don't see 24v in the Trophy batteries though.

Battleborn might be an option for heated batteries:

Or build your own heater setup like many do, with insulated compartment, heater pad(s) and thermostat...

Last edited:
JBD and Pace seem to be the go-to options right now
Can anyone mention the names of the real (alibaba) sellers for these BMS? I've noticed a BUNCH of sellers list them, but who's got the real McCoy? Do any of these have a shunt of sorts to determine the % charge fairly accurately?

Last edited:
I can't help you with baba but this post will get you to the alliexpress JBD.
Can anyone mention the names of the real (alibaba) sellers for these BMS? I've noticed a BUNCH of sellers list them, but who's got the real McCoy?

Can anyone mention the names of the real (alibaba) sellers for these BMS? I've noticed a BUNCH of sellers list them, but who's got the real McCoy? Do any of these have a shunt of sorts to determine the % charge fairly accurately?

I bought 4 of these ones from this same auction link (came right from my order history page), they are JBD-AP20S002 from Minerals Official Store:

Mine were purchased about a year ago and came with mechanical relays, the new one on this same listing look like a revised model (perhaps with a SS relay?), mine had big round relays on them (full aluminum plate on one side, half plate covering the other side to allow room for the relay), and this new one has longer aluminum plate on the one side, just seems to look like a revised cleaner looking model, but still has the JBD p/n on it if you look close at the pictures and they list JBD-AP20S002 in the description.

Of course if you are in the USA, you can also buy the overkillsolar.com ones and they are made by JBD and offer better support if you had problems.

I wanted 16s 200a ones though so I bought the other ones straight from China... I did buy 4s ones from overkill.com since they could do 120a and they were good too. Both sets I acquired here have JBD p/n's on them.

They must have a shunt in them because the SoC always matches my Victron BMV shunt pretty much the same, and uses the standard Xiaoxiang app for the bluetooth management.

Last edited:
I bought 4 of these ones from this same auction link (came right from my order history page), they are JBD-AP20S002 from Minerals Official Store:

Mine were purchased about a year ago and came with mechanical relays, the new one on this same listing look like a revised model (perhaps with a SS relay?), mine had big round relays on them (full aluminum plate on one side, half plate covering the other side to allow room for the relay), and this new one has longer aluminum plate on the one side, just seems to look like a revised cleaner looking model, but still has the JBD p/n on it if you look close at the pictures and they list JBD-AP20S002 in the description.

Of course if you are in the USA, you can also buy the overkillsolar.com ones and they are made by JBD and offer better support if you had problems.

I wanted 16s 200a ones though so I bought the other ones straight from China... I did buy 4s ones from overkill.com since they could do 120a and they were good too. Both sets I acquired here have JBD p/n's on them.

They must have a shunt in them because the SoC always matches my Victron BMV shunt pretty much the same, and uses the standard Xiaoxiang app for the bluetooth management.
Hmm, you think that's a good thing, a SS relay vs a good ol' mechanical one? I've used neither so I do no know. I'd hope that newer = improved. Overkillsolar prices look fair too compared to paying aliexpress shipping?

Forgive me for the basic question, but looking at wiring diagrams on batteryhookup and they describe 8s, 12s, etc configurations. Is it safe to assume it's good with a 24v or a 36v module? I really wanted 3 individual 4s 12v modules and then hook them up in series = 36v but that doesn't sound as easy as just making one 36v module? Just the way I'm used to doing it with SLA banks. Still might do that if four overkill 4s's can handle series to 36v?

I'll just need to get a 36v charger. What kind of charger do you guys use? I've been using waterproof marine chargers mounted onboard for this boat application but I'm not against using a non-waterproof 36v charger and removing it after charging.

I go to the forum banner and use Will’s recommendations.

That’s where I got my overkill BMS.

Hmm, you think that's a good thing, a SS relay vs a good ol' mechanical one? I've used neither so I do no know. I'd hope that newer = improved. Overkillsolar prices look fair too compared to paying aliexpress shipping?

Just to be clear, I don't even know for sure what kind of relays those may have. I was just wondering if it was SS because it looked more square now. It doesn't even really matter to me one way or another, I trust JBD would use a quality part either way, since the mechanical one they use looks very good quality. Might be able to ping JBD or the seller or something and ask them if they could say for sure if it was or not.

Forgive me for the basic question, but looking at wiring diagrams on batteryhookup and they describe 8s, 12s, etc configurations. Is it safe to assume it's good with a 24v or a 36v module? I really wanted 3 individual 4s 12v modules and then hook them up in series = 36v but that doesn't sound as easy as just making one 36v module? Just the way I'm used to doing it with SLA banks. Still might do that if four overkill 4s's can handle series to 36v?

The beauty of the JBD BMS I referenced, and even many of the JK BMS (I do also have several of the JK active balancers which I like a lot too), I like that they can do 8-24s, so you can really build a battery to be for many different voltages in the range (not stuck at 16s only).

I'll just need to get a 36v charger. What kind of charger do you guys use? I've been using waterproof marine chargers mounted onboard for this boat application but I'm not against using a non-waterproof 36v charger and removing it after charging.

I had bought a 36v/48v AIMS charger, where later on I wanted more amps for more charging, so I wound up just buying 3 more used (preowned) AIMS chargers off eBay for pretty cheap, they also can do 36v, they have DIP switch settings to change chemistry to LFP, and for 36v-48v. There are lots of other options for chargers, but I went that path since I already had one of the AIMS ones, I preferred for my charger bank to match (while hanging on the wall).

Example:

Last edited:
A 12s battery will be the ideal option with a single BMS, what current does your system draw?
I'll be running a 36v trolling motor that has the ability to be run in 24v (to save weight) as well, and in either mode, max draw won't exceed 60a continuous.

12v batteries are easy to swap around between 24v and 36v, although I'm considering making one 12s, 36v array and keeping it that way, but the flexibility is appealing. Buying the right charger is a factor too, waterproof marine chargers preferred, aren't cheap.

Just to be clear, I don't even know for sure what kind of relays those may have. I was just wondering if it was SS because it looked more square now. It doesn't even really matter to me one way or another, I trust JBD would use a quality part either way, since the mechanical one they use looks very good quality. Might be able to ping JBD or the seller or something and ask them if they could say for sure if it was or not.

The beauty of the JBD BMS I referenced, and even many of the JK BMS (I do also have several of the JK active balancers which I like a lot too), I like that they can do 8-24s, so you can really build a battery to be for many different voltages in the range (not stuck at 16s only).

I had bought a 36v/48v AIMS charger, where later on I wanted more amps for more charging, so I wound up just buying 3 more used (preowned) AIMS chargers off eBay for pretty cheap, they also can do 36v, they have DIP switch settings to change chemistry to LFP, and for 36v-48v. There are lots of other options for chargers, but I went that path since I already had one of the AIMS ones, I preferred for my charger bank to match (while hanging on the wall).

Example:
Thank you for the detailed reply Samsonite! JBD Bms are coming up often when people mention good bms, so I'll check that out in-depth. Will mentioned Pace, but I couldn't find any good info about them. That flexibility in 8s to 24s is pretty awesome too.

I'll check out those AIMS chargers for sure! Thanks....

diy solar

diy solar
Back