diy solar

diy solar

Can I turn a Small 3kW generator into a split phase generator.

Piet_de _Pad

The sun: a free natural large nuclear reactor
Dear reader,
I want to connect a small generator of 3KW to a house with a split phase grid, using an ATS to isolate the house from the grid.
This is what I know from generators, and correct me if I'm wrong. Small generator do normally have two 120V outlets "A" and "B" and one 240V outlet "C". The stator of the generator has normally two coils each for 120V and these two coils are connected in series to generate the 240V. The way the outlets are connected to the coils is depicted in the picture below.

This is my question. Without modifying the wiring of the generator, I want to add a split phase connector "D" to the three Connectors AB&C that I have. I want to do this by taking the two phases of the two 120V wall outlets A,B and use the neutral connection on the same outlets A&B as the neutral of the split phase.

My question: are small generators always made based on the schematic I show and can I make my split phase as I describe in the text.
Thanks for the help

Generator.jpg

You need to check the 120V outlets. If they are all in phase with each other, it's a no-go
Correct when I measure 0V on these phases and when I measure 240 On the two 120V outlets it's bingo. But then there can't either be 240 on the outlet C. technical, that would be an error on the generator.

If you hook up a 120v cord to the neutral and the 220v to another cord you should end up with 4 wires =2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. Cap the extra hot and the extra ground on the 120v cord.

You probably should unbond the generator if your house panel or meter is bonded between the equipment ground +neutral.

This is a very small generator to be backing up a house with. This is the max wattage of 1.6 15 A circuits.

Dear reader,
I want to connect a small generator of 3KW to a house with a split phase grid, using an ATS to isolate the house from the grid.
This is what I know from generators, and correct me if I'm wrong. Small generator do normally have two 120V outlets "A" and "B" and one 240V outlet "C". The stator of the generator has normally two coils each for 120V and these two coils are connected in series to generate the 240V. The way the outlets are connected to the coils is depicted in the picture below.

This is my question. Without modifying the wiring of the generator, I want to add a split phase connector "D" to the three Connectors AB&C that I have. I want to do this by taking the two phases of the two 120V wall outlets A,B and use the neutral connection on the same outlets A&B as the neutral of the split phase.

My question: are small generators always made based on the schematic I show and can I make my split phase as I describe in the text.
Thanks for the help

View attachment 218562

I think there is a language barrier but yes.

You need only to add a neutral to "c".

Or basically turn connector "c" into 4 pins so you can add the "green" or what appears to be the neutral conductor in your photo.

If you hook up a 120v cord to the neutral and the 220v to another cord you should end up with 4 wires =2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. Cap the extra hot and the extra ground on the 120v cord.

You probably should unbond the generator if your house panel or meter is bonded between the equipment ground +neutral.

This is a very small generator to be backing up a house with. This is the max wattage of 1.6 15 A circuits.
Correct it is a small generator but here in Mexico we don't consume as much as our northern friends do :) , to make things even more confused I'm Dutch and live there ha ha. I appreciate your answer and yes I will check if the generator is bonded, I expect that it doesn't. Thanks

I think there is a language barrier but yes.

You need only to add a neutral to "c".

Or basically turn connector "c" into 4 pins so you can add the "green" or what appears to be the neutral conductor in your photo.
Hello my friend, I appreciate your response.
Definitely there is a language barrier here, I'm Dutch and English is not my mother tongue. Connector "C" has the two phases and the earth as I understand it. So I only need to add the neutral from one of the two 120V connectors and I have a full L1L2-NG interface, meaning my split phase connection. Is that correct?

diy solar

diy solar
Back