diy solar

diy solar

can i use a generLink for a system

well i have that generlink now. I use it for my gas/lp generators. So, right now i have nothing solar related. This video,
is what i want to do. and being able to plug into the existing generlink port with a 240 would be great. I understand I may have to control the electricity from the main panel, i do this with my generator.

I would not recommend something like that. Utilities may not allow it so definitely check first. Removing utility meter requires licensed electrician in most locations that you pay for, likely about $150-$200, and may require utility be notified. Some utilities fine you "service charge" if you pull meter yourself. Smart meters may send a message out when disconnected, just like when power goes down, initiating an out of service trouble ticket by utility.

Last edited:
I would not recommend something like that. Utilities may not allow it so definitely check first. Removing utility meter requires licensed electrician in most locations that you pay for, likely about $150-$200, and may require utility be notified. Some utilities fine you "service charge" if you pull meter yourself. Smart meters may send a message out when disconnected, just like when power goes down, initiating an out of service trouble ticket by utility.
That GenerLink is already installed on my system. When the power lines went down from a storm i had to have lines right up to the house replaced. So, the power company installed the GenerLink. And you do have to arrange for the power company to come out and uninstall it or install it. It was free in my area, and was told most power companies will install it for free if working on the lines and some will even come out and install it for free, just have to call the power company in ones area and ask. I have used it many times, with my generator, due the power loss in my area is a problem.

You have a friendly electric utility. When my lines were pulled down from storm the utility refused to reconnect them until I had a licensed electrician check the lines from weather hood down to meter for damage. Cost me $250.

You have a friendly electric utility. When my lines were pulled down from storm the utility refused to reconnect them until I had a licensed electrician check the lines from weather hood down to meter for damage. Cost me $250.
yes, i did in fact have an electrician out. the mast was ripped off the house and he had to fix that before they would come out. My electrician told me about the GenerLink and I ran out and bought it. After he did his job he even called the electric company. I am in a small town these guys all know each other as well.

Back