diy solar

diy solar

Can I use dehumidifier water in lead acid battery ? Distilled water shortage 2022

32 volt boater

Solar Enthusiast
There is a distilled water shortage, every store sold out by me www.google.com/search?q=distilled+water+shortage+2022

Many internet posts say using dehumidifier water in Pb-H₂SO₄ batteries is OK but does anyone know of a problem I cant think of ?

A quick search of the internet I found make distilled water at home appliances but I don't need that much or that often to invest $100.

Issue with evap collected water is some sort of organic contaminant is usually present. At a minimum, even if it does nothing more than offer a placebo effect, I'd pass it through something like a carbon filter.

"Purified" water produced by reverse osmosis is close enough to distilled, and that seems more readily available.

Issue with evap collected water is some sort of organic contaminant is usually present. At a minimum, even if it does nothing more than offer a placebo effect, I'd pass it through something like a carbon filter.

"Purified" water produced by reverse osmosis is close enough to distilled, and that seems more readily available.

I read this on others too.

Attachments

• 1663225089307.png
    1663225089307.png
    770.5 KB · Views: 9
Condensate water from an air conditioner or dehumidifier won't have the dissolved minerals that would be in well or tap water but it will get contaminated from the dust, bacteria and otherwise "muck" that collected on the coil.

If you have a pressure cooker, stove top or electric and some copper tubing, maybe an old cork you may already have the makings of the equipment needed to distill your own water at home.

Where are you located? I just bought 4 gallons (distilled) yesterday at Walmart.

Humidifiers will have organic contamination, plus possible aluminum and solder leachate from the cooling fins.
Running that through a charcoal filter will give you burnt wood debris contamination and still not remove the dissolved metals.

The mini water distiller project design linked above has a lot of leak potential problems -- trying to seal tubes off after making holes in pots is super hard. And potentially dangerous if something gets plugged in the steam generator. So be careful setting anything like that up. There are better designs out there.

I am going to try this old trick,

1663256843179.png

Maybe I can improve on it by putting some ice cubes as the weight.

Reverse osmosis systems can be bought for around 40 bucks from ebay. RO+DI filter combos are something like 60 usd but even RO water should be pretty good unless your raw water source is awfull.

most ”distilled” ”battery” water sold is actually demineralized water (RO+DI) at least around here.

I have used rain water , collected in open air , on a few occasions.

most ”distilled” ”battery” water sold is actually demineralized water (RO+DI) at least around here.
I saw an episode of how distilled water was made, and it was the same as you mentioned. I really don’t think the gallon of water I get for less than a buck is really boiled away and steam collected. I did search again for that episode and never found it.
I am going to try this old trick,

View attachment 111995
How did this work for you? I’ve seen this on survival shows and tried it once myswlf and got an insignificant amount of water. When I had lead acid golf cart batteries, on the monthly refill they could be quite thirsty at a cup of water per battery.

A still is the way to go. I have an electric still and it works very well. I haven’t looked, but there must be a small still for use on a stove top. Hmmm… I did just order a bank of lithium batteries, so the still will see even less use.
edited to add:
a quick search shows plenty of stove top stills and videos on how to make one. Might be worthwhile.

couldn’t get easier, here you go:

The video shows a tea kettle made into a still, quick and easy.

Last edited:
Following the same principle, ice build-up in a deep freeze will also work and should have fewer organic contaminants.

The video shows a tea kettle made into a still, quick and easy.
I saw an episode of how distilled water was made, and it was the same as you mentioned. I really don’t think the gallon of water I get for less than a buck is really boiled away and steam collected. I did search again for that episode and never found it.

How did this work for you? I’ve seen this on survival shows and tried it once myswlf and got an insignificant amount of water. When I had lead acid golf cart batteries, on the monthly refill they could be quite thirsty at a cup of water per battery.

I ended up filling a clean bucket with frozen water bottles and collecting the condensate. It was so humid got like a quart. Wiped them all down with a towel first , clean enough.

Got the freezer full of frozen water bottles and on a timer, off at night so I just use the solar and not stress the batteries with unnecessary cycles.

Back