diy solar

diy solar

Water distiller for lead acid battery?

the-waterboy-adam-sandler.gif

I couldn't resist.

The zero filter pitchers are 0 tds always till its time to replace the cartridge. Its the cheapest and safest method in my opinion.
According to their site it may not be the safest.

Screenshot_20231121-185647.jpg

There used to be special battery caps called Hydrocaps that would recombine the gasses coming from lead acid cells back into water so batteries could go for extended periods without being watered. Don't know if they're still being used.

There used to be special battery caps called Hydrocaps that would recombine the gasses coming from lead acid cells back into water so batteries could go for extended periods without being watered. Don't know if they're still being used.
Yes, I looked into those one time. They did not fit my cells. Were somewhat costly also as I remember. Good option if they fit. My new battery has an automatic watering system. Also not cheap, but makes watering so super easy and quick. You can't over fill the batteries. It can be as easy as turning a switch on for a minute or two and then turning it off again.

While we are talking about testers, I switched to a Hyrdovolt and it was a game changer. Temperature compensated and super easy to use. I used to use the glass tube with the float ones, but the problem was the float always got stuck to the side of the glass and I'd have to free it from the side to get a good reading. Took a lot of time and tapping the tube The new one eliminates that problem. Another guy here on the forum recommended a Brix Refractometer. That works also. With the gravity and TDS meters you have a nice battery test kit.

1700665254400.png

1700665286531.png

Attachments

• 1700665205455.png
    1700665205455.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Costly could mean catalyst materials.

I would think an adapter could fit any accessory to any cell, might be higher profile. Seems like a project for 3D printer or lathe or mold and casting process (e.g. epoxy.)

AGM of course has recombination built in.
AGM does not have as long a lifespan (although good AGM better than bad FLA).
AGM has higher acid concentration, freeze protected to lower temperature.

I would think an adapter could fit any accessory to any cell, might be higher profile. Seems like a project for 3D printer or lathe or mold and casting process (e.g. epoxy.)

AGM of course has recombination built in.
AGM does not have as long a lifespan (although good AGM better than bad FLA).
AGM has higher acid concentration, freeze protected to lower temperature.
Printer - yes, if I had one and knew how to use it.
Good points. I guess 18yrs for forklift battery is not bad. Still working now, but reaching the end.

Exactly. Had a set of these for a 12V battery bank for a weather station and they were pretty expensive, but worked well. The instructions said not to use them while equalizing the batteries, as they would generate/combine too much gas and overheat, melting the plastic caps.

Note that (electrically based) TDS meters are a bit of a misnomer. While they can detect ions (as they are using resistance), they cannot detect added minerals that are non-ionic, for instance.

Back