diy solar

diy solar

Water distiller for lead acid battery?

Calvin98

Walmart distilled water used to be $0.98 per gallon. Now it is $1.48/gallon. Looking at possibly getting a water distiller. Amaon has some in the $100 range. You still have to buy over 60gal at that price to pay for the distiller. Another problem is the quality of the distilled water. Once I got and ALMOST used the Walmart Parents Choice Distilled Water in the battery. You have to do some deep checking, but they actutally ADD MINERALS to Parents Choice Distilled water! Now I can't be sure if distilled water is really distilled (i.e. 0 minerals) or if it has minerals added. To add to confusion, the distillers advertise <2ppm dissolved solids. So they don't really make 100% TDS free distilled water either. Any ideas? What do you do? Prices going up so much and trust of what you are getting is making me look for options. I suppose no slids is best, but is there any amount of TDS that is ok in a lead acid battery? 60 gal is a lot of water to use, but 1 gallon of the wrong water can ruin your day.

I had a stove-top distiller that condensed in stainless tubes.
The water it produced had a metallic taste.

I've read that water distilled in glass picks up silica. I'd guess that is OK.

Buying distilled water, it comes in plastic bottles. Hopefully nothing that leaches will disrupt our battery's endocrine system.

Just looked at what we have been buying. One only listed zero flouride ions. THe other listed zero ppm of dissolved solids. So I am not sure what to tell you.

I too have thought of buying a distiller, or a ROI unit so I could sell excess to people on our island. However I am starting to think most people are moving to lithium.

I almost want to say " quit yer whinnin" as up here the distilled water is 4 dollars canadian per gallon. or roughly 2.96$ USD per gallon

I wonder if zero water filters would work? 0 ppm (or close).

Though I’m pretty happy retiring the old trojan.

$1.48 is still so cheap. I can't find any for less than like $3.99 usually since the pandemic. I stopped frivolously using it in stuff like windshield washer fluid, but I would definitely still buy it for $1.48 for batteries.

Just looked at what we have been buying. One only listed zero flouride ions. THe other listed zero ppm of dissolved solids. So I am not sure what to tell you.

I too have thought of buying a distiller, or a ROI unit so I could sell excess to people on our island. However I am starting to think most people are moving to lithium.

I almost want to say " quit yer whinnin" as up here the distilled water is 4 dollars canadian per gallon. or roughly 2.96$ USD per gallon
I can't find the "minerals added" info anymore either. Maybe they changed it again. Plus it is only $1.26/gal compared to other distilled water at $1.42.
Yes, lithium (or sodium) is the future, but meanwhile it does double duty in a fork lift and as backup storage.
Yes, just did not like the 50% price increase and the uncertainty of what was actually in it or not in it.

Google search: https://waterbutlers.com/products/parents-choice-distilled-water-1-gal
"Parent's Choice 1-Gallon Distilled Water provides pure, clean water for the benefit of your little one. With minerals added for taste, this water provides a safe solution for diluting juice or for adding to formula or infant cereal. It uses a steam distillation process to remove contaminants, chemicals and bacteria in seemingly harmless water sources, leaving behind perfectly, pure distilled water for babies.

• Distilled water
  • With minerals added for taste
  • 0 calories per bottle
  • Distilled water for babies features an easy-to-pour gallon jug
  • Filtration process removes all impurities through means of steam distillation
  • Minerals are added back into the water after it's been distilled"

Google search: https://waterbutlers.com/products/parents-choice-distilled-water-1-gal
"Parent's Choice 1-Gallon Distilled Water provides pure, clean water for the benefit of your little one. With minerals added for taste, this water provides a safe solution for diluting juice or for adding to formula or infant cereal. It uses a steam distillation process to remove contaminants, chemicals and bacteria in seemingly harmless water sources, leaving behind perfectly, pure distilled water for babies.

• Distilled water
  • With minerals added for taste
  • 0 calories per bottle
  • Distilled water for babies features an easy-to-pour gallon jug
  • Filtration process removes all impurities through means of steam distillation
  • Minerals are added back into the water after it's been distilled"
I wouldn't use this.

"Ingredients
Distilled Water"

Probably following FDA standards for how much of something before it has to be listed.
Not the sort of documentation we're looking for. You'd think they'd feature its benefits on the label, to attract shoppers.

What we want, pure DHMO with nothing else except dissolved gasses

Here's one that even features what it was distilled in

I've been using the unit linked below since June of this year.
At this point I bet I easily have 100 gallons through it.
I primarily use it for fermenting kefir, a steam generator for a tiny sauna, an evaporative humidifier, and hydroponics. I've noticed the filters on the humidifier have no scaly buildup like they would if I were using straight well water. I haven't noticed any funky taste with or without the carbon filter.
My TDS meter is fubar so I can't check. I've cleaned it up a few times due to build up from my well water.
If you get one be sure to add water just above the fill line below the letters, this leaves a little water in the bottom so it doesn't boil off completely and build up with scale quicker.
It uses ~2.7Kwh per cycle.
It makes a great dump load / overnight load to drain the packs down a bit in my efforts to fight the packs from floating for to long...

VEVOR 1.1 Gal Water Distiller, 0.3 Gal/H, Distilled Water Maker Machine 750W 0-99H Timing Set Temp Display, 304 Stainless Steel Countertop Distiller Glass Carafe Cleaning Powder 3 Carbon Packs, Silver https://a.co/d/4yHsIfB

Edit to add I ran a couple gallons in my wiper fluid tank over the summer and thought the windshield was much clearer than regular old washer fluid.

Attachments

• IMG_20231118_143715__01.jpg
    IMG_20231118_143715__01.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 2

"Ingredients
Distilled Water"

Probably following FDA standards for how much of something before it has to be listed.
Not the sort of documentation we're looking for. You'd think they'd feature its benefits on the label, to attract shoppers.

What we want, pure DHMO with nothing else except dissolved gasses

Here's one that even features what it was distilled in

HE HE. Flying to Japan to get it? :)
Maybe depends on where you look what the specs are.

I've been using the unit linked below since June of this year.
At this point I bet I easily have 100 gallons through it.
I primarily use it for fermenting kefir, a steam generator for a tiny sauna, an evaporative humidifier, and hydroponics. I've noticed the filters on the humidifier have no scaly buildup like they would if I were using straight well water. I haven't noticed any funky taste with or without the carbon filter.
My TDS meter is fubar so I can't check. I've cleaned it up a few times due to build up from my well water.
If you get one be sure to add water just above the fill line below the letters, this leaves a little water in the bottom so it doesn't boil off completely and build up with scale quicker.
It uses ~2.7Kwh per cycle.
It makes a great dump load / overnight load to drain the packs down a bit in my efforts to fight the packs from floating for to long...

VEVOR 1.1 Gal Water Distiller, 0.3 Gal/H, Distilled Water Maker Machine 750W 0-99H Timing Set Temp Display, 304 Stainless Steel Countertop Distiller Glass Carafe Cleaning Powder 3 Carbon Packs, Silver https://a.co/d/4yHsIfB

Edit to add I ran a couple gallons in my wiper fluid tank over the summer and thought the windshield was much clearer than regular old washer fluid.
Wanna try one of these meters and let us know TDS in the resulting "distilled water"?
$4.99 with next day delivery.

Unfortunately I canceled/suspended my prime membership when they jacked the rates. I'll check the lab at work tomorrow, I think they have one.
Ok, cool thanks. Appreciate it!
At least we would know if those distillers are options for us old lead acid guys.
I could start out with RO filtered water and distill from there.
I never would have guessed that anyone woudl add minerals to distilled water, but they do. Distilled water should be distilled water, no minerals added.

We kept ours. Next day delivery, tv, etc., still makes it worth it for us.
Camelcamelcamel.com is a good "sectre" way to also price check Amazon stufff to see if you are getting a deal or not.

I wonder if zero water filters would work? 0 ppm (or close).

Though I’m pretty happy retiring the old trojan.
Its what we use. I don't fool with lead acid batteries anymore but I used it for that and I use it to fill my fish tanks. Amazing product. I can have water to top of a fish tank in minutes from chlorinated city water coming out completely safe for the fish.

No idea what Zero Water Filter was. Looked it up. Looks interesting. It says "Change Filter when TDS Meter reads 006," so you still have to be careful. 006 is above what Trojan recommends. But if the meters are accurate you will know. I will get my meters tomorrow and test several type of water and see what they say.

Back