diy solar

diy solar

Can someone's identify these rails?

chulew

I have enough of these to put up a bunch of panels but I need more of the fasteners. Does anyone recognize what make/model they are?

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    732.7 KB · Views: 33
I don't recognize them at all but could you do a Google image search? I believe, although I've never tried, that you can upload your picture to Google and tell it to find similar things.

I installed 3 arrays using Prosolar rails. They are aluminum. they are rigid and last, but very difficult to work with and take extra time to install. In order to fasten the rails to the cross bars, you have to line up the rail and then mark a place on the rail where you will drill 2 holes so you can attach the Prosolar rail to the cross rail with a U-bolt and nuts. You have to manually drill the holes using a step bit for metal. Then you have to do the same thing for the next rail and make certain everything is parallel.
I made a wooden template of the holes to be drilled that fit in the guly of the rail so I just had to position the rail, align the template, use a marker to mark the holes, remove the template and drill.

Once your panels are in place, the only way to remove the rails is to remove all of the panels and then remove the U bolts from the nuts on the rail inside gully. Not very user friendly.

I wish I had used plain ole galvanized strut.

Again, a piece of galvanized strut and a portable band saw is all you need to get going. Fancy extruded aluminum rails can cost more money and not work any better.

Again, a piece of galvanized strut and a portable band saw is all you need to get going. Fancy extruded aluminum rails can cost more money and not work any better.
Aluminum rails will last way longer than the typical electrogalvanized strut that the big box stores sell. That is intended for indoor use only. Hot dip galvanized strut works well outdoors but it's much more expensive where I live.

Superstut 10 foot rail, the deep rail, galvanized, about $35.57 at Home Depot near me in So Cal. I just bought one.

10 ft. 12-Gauge Half Slotted Metal Framing Strut Channel in Silver Galvanized
Half Slot "A" Channel with SilverGalv finish
1-5/8 in. Channel Depth
Clean, paintable surface

Then there are specific nuts to screw the bolts into, end caps for appearance and can easily be cut to length with a portable band saw.

Superstut 10 foot rail, the deep rail, galvanized, about $35.57 at Home Depot near me in So Cal. I just bought one.

10 ft. 12-Gauge Half Slotted Metal Framing Strut Channel in Silver Galvanized
Half Slot "A" Channel with SilverGalv finish
1-5/8 in. Channel Depth
Clean, paintable surface

Then there are specific nuts to screw the bolts into, end caps for appearance and can easily be cut to length with a portable band saw.
Odd that it's $41 here I suppose prices could be different depending on the store I have used them before good for mounting conduit on walls. I can see that being a good idea for ground mounting I doubt it would pass code for roof mounting. I have local solar supplier Santan solar I don't have to ship rails actually cheaper at $3 a foot then the superstrut. When you add shipping makes a difference having Home Depot locally makes sense to use those.

Attachments

• 2023-12-02 12_37_50-Superstrut 10 ft. 12-Gauge Half Slotted Metal Framing Strut Channel in Gol...jpg
    2023-12-02 12_37_50-Superstrut 10 ft. 12-Gauge Half Slotted Metal Framing Strut Channel in Gol...jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 6
Check your local electric supply stores for bulk strut prices... I got 10 sticks for ~$250 a few months ago, I was ready to buy it from HD, glad I didn't.

Back