diy solar

diy solar

Can Two RockPals 500Ws be charged and used together?

oldclydex

Hello, I am new to the forum and have checked the web and this site for answers to my question. I have, through multiple support engagements, obtained two RockPals 500W units that work well with A/C or D/C input (not so much with my 60W portable solar panel). I want to utilize in my truck camper (GFC) for a light weight and easily removable power solution for camping, etc. I checked the specs for my 500W and it appears it can be charged while providing power. Is it possible to connect the units to allow use and solar panel charging to both units (hopefully through one unit) for my use while camping? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hello, I am new to the forum and have checked the web and this site for answers to my question. I have, through multiple support engagements, obtained two RockPals 500W units that work well with A/C or D/C input (not so much with my 60W portable solar panel). I want to utilize in my truck camper (GFC) for a light weight and easily removable power solution for camping, etc. I checked the specs for my 500W and it appears it can be charged while providing power. Is it possible to connect the units to allow use and solar panel charging to both units (hopefully through one unit) for my use while camping? Thanks in advance for your input.
just did a quick look at the website and it does "seem" to indicate that you can use the DC output while charging:
"(only the DC ports support pass-through charging)"
However!!!
You will notice that the manual shows a DC output of 9-12V/10A; it also shows that the DC input charging (solar port) has a MINIMUM voltage of 13V...so it kind of hints that you cannot take the DC output of one system to feed the DC input of another.

you probably should consider not trying to daisy chain the units but feeding them both in parallel on the DC input keeping in mind the solar charge DC input port has a spec of "solar charging input DC13-22V, 6A Max"..

That is what it looks like to me anyway; always iffy on trying to connect things in ways that are not explicitly mentioned in the manual.

just did a quick look at the website and it does "seem" to indicate that you can use the DC output while charging:
"(only the DC ports support pass-through charging)"
However!!!
You will notice that the manual shows a DC output of 9-12V/10A; it also shows that the DC input charging (solar port) has a MINIMUM voltage of 13V...so it kind of hints that you cannot take the DC output of one system to feed the DC input of another.

you probably should consider not trying to daisy chain the units but feeding them both in parallel on the DC input keeping in mind the solar charge DC input port has a spec of "solar charging input DC13-22V, 6A Max"..

That is what it looks like to me anyway; always iffy on trying to connect things in ways that are not explicitly mentioned in the manual.
Thanks for your response. Didn't catch that limitation in my review of the specs on the 500W. Guess I'll be charging them individually. Thanks again.

Back