diy solar

diy solar

Any benefit of two (2) smaller AIO units vs one (1) larger?

In order to have the AIO charging the batteries that idle is being consumed 24/7.
My MPPs don't work like that.
There is an on/off switch that only controls the inverter circuit. That is the circuit burning idle power.
You can't turn off the solar input except with an external switch/breaker.
Panels connected, SCC is live

Not true, the units will charge from PV with the inverter off. No need for a separate SCC.
And what’s the idle consumption with the inverter off during the overnight?

Less than a watt?

Actually the unit turns off after a while when there is no income from the PV, so I would say there is no further current draw until power is produced by the PV array.

Reactions: Zwy
"occasional off grid small cabin".... treat it like an RV and use a solar generator and supplement with a propane generator and a few solar panels. Bluetti, Anker, Ecoflow, Zendure.....

Sunk cost is definitely a factor. And how you mention getting your feet wet and then upgrading later… that’s my learning process. Back in the day mom & dad wouldn’t buy me any games so I went to the library and got a programming book with a bunch of examples. I typed the code in and then started tinkering with different parts to see what the result was with how the program ran. I do the same with computers and anything else really… get something that works and then start changing things to see the resulting changes.

I don’t see it any different with this. Start with an AIO and then necessity show that I need something so I have to learn and modify the system to accomplish my needs and goals. Or at least that’s the plan.. we all know about plans and first contact with the enemy ;)
The other thing is that I need an essential circuit backup right now, but I see all this new stuff coming out almost every month -- Victron's new 5K, EG4's new 18K, etc. -- so I can see an advantage to waiting a year or two before deciding on a whole-house unit. I might be able to get something better and cheaper than anything that's available today.

The other thing is that I need an essential circuit backup right now, but I see all this new stuff coming out almost every month -- Victron's new 5K, EG4's new 18K, etc. -- so I can see an advantage to waiting a year or two before deciding on a whole-house unit. I might be able to get something better and cheaper than anything that's available today.
But, the foregone savings of a system today may be more than you save by waiting.

But, the foregone savings of a system today may be more than you save by waiting.
I'm never going to save money with solar. Where I live (Olympic Peninsula), grid power is so cheap and net metering is so stingy and sunlight is so iffy (and I'm so old) that I will not break even on the costs in my lifetime, even for my starter system. I'm doing it for the peace of mind that a power failure, unless it's really long, won't cause much inconvenience. And for fun.

We live in a world of uncertainty financialy with inflation and the future of the dollar in question, so at todays prices you know what you are getting and who knows what tomorrows prices could be. Then there is the threat of 2030 nett zero what will grid energy prices be then? and what will component prices have escalated to. Better to throw the dice now when you know what you have.

Product improvement treadmill. You buy the latest and greatest AIO today and before you wire it up there is a new more feature filled exciting one for sale.

Or you wait until the bugs are worked out and you buy the previous generation that has proved itself. That is unless it was discontinued.

Product improvement treadmill. You buy the latest and greatest AIO today and before you wire it up there is a new more feature filled exciting one for sale.

Or you wait until the bugs are worked out and you buy the previous generation that has proved itself. That is unless it was discontinued.
Exactly. It's the same when you build a PC from components, except I know what I'm doing with PCs. I'm a babe in the woods with solar, so I'm being much more cautious. But I have been very pleased with how rapidly I'm learning, thanks to all the info on Youtube and DIY websites, including forums like this one. I always try to use affiliate links when I learn something useful from a video or website.

Exactly. It's the same when you build a PC from components, except I know what I'm doing with PCs.
Me too and your comment made me realize I'm approaching building my solar system in the same spirit as I build computers. Assess needs, build device, use and evaluate performance, modify if needed.

Back