diy solar

diy solar

Can use some guidance on best DIY venders for a 10-15 kW grid-tied system

If you do not need over the counter advice, I have had luck with Greentech Renewables. They cater to the trade so you have to know what you are looking for but their prices are very good and being able to pick up racking, inverters and solar panels from stock in hand is worth the drive to their nearest facility.
I called them last summer and got the impression they only deal with installers?

Alt E store can supply a complete package.

I buy through eBay, new in the box SMA Sunny Boy and Sunny Island. Some of the sellers are established companies, others bottom feeders who picked up auction lots and resell them.

StellaVolta I've bought from, now go direct to their website.

Santan can be a great place for panels. Limited quantities of new overstock, large quantities of used.

"with metal roof"?
Looks like shingles to me.
If standing seam, clamps to that can hold rails.
Any form of shingle or tile, I want brackets with flashing. More expensive than screws and caulk, but the house is worth more than adding solar.

Anything that uses satellite is useless. Since a lot was cleared recently and new construction. Because of the complications with the roof my options are limited.
i think it may depend on how rapidly some sites are updated. Also some are able to do shade analysis and that must involve several hours if not several seasons of images. I have only used Google Project Rooftop when I was purchaseinga home a few years ago. A solar salesman who quoted a relative of mine for a home in a forested area spoke highly of Aurora. I have no personal experience so my comment should be considered anecdotal until I see how that installation compares to actual performance.

Check projectsolar.com. They can do the permitting and you do the install. They only use enphase micro what may work well for your shade issues.

I called them last summer and got the impression they only deal with installers?
It may depend on the branch office. My first contact with them was for a quote on 23 panels, micro inverters and racking. They did not have the panels I wanted but gave me a good price on the micros and racking. I found the panels at EcoDirect who had some availability at a warehouse 75 miles away. In retrospect I could have used the Tier One panels that Greentech carried and saved a half day on the road driving to Sacramento. I had to rent a truck to drive to Sacramento but the 15 mile trip to Greentech I could have done with my unlicensed trailer.
I have since purchased a few miscellaneous parts and recently bought a SolArk 12k and 4 Jinko panels from them. The SolArk was in stock and was the best price than any of any online sellers and of course no freight. I never opened an actual account and they just use a generic COD account. I worked at and owned part of a lumber yard for 15 years so I know how to swagger up to a counter and schmooze the guys but it that is not rocket science. I have also gotten some contacts of laborers who have helped me with some of the roof work that I am getting too old to do by myself.

Back