diy solar

diy solar

Can you offer advice on an expandable RV setup?

if the switch is off, the battery wire leading to the switch is not protected by a fuse. I chose to take that risk and put the switch before the fuse.
That makes sense to me as it would only be off when doing a repair. It will be on almost all of the time...tks

Battery -> Fuse -> Switch

With the switch in the OFF position, there is no current flowing through the fuse and you can remove/install it without any sparks.

Battery -> Fuse -> Switch

With the switch in the OFF position, there is no current flowing through the fuse and you can remove/install it without any sparks.
ok..but why after? what is the technical reason...

If you look at this, the switch is after the battery.

Last edited:
Your MP2 has two dc positive studs and two dc negative studs
As you very sensibly decided to use a single 4/0 awg wire, I suggest you use the spares studs as a busbar.
You can connect the other busbars to the mp2.
That way you don't need a pre-charge resistor for the mp2.
You can prime the cap in the mp2 using the dc2dc charger.

Last edited:
ok..but why after? what is the technical reason...

If you look at this, the switch is after the battery.

The simple answer is that it's not right in that diagram. The cable from the battery to the switch is not protected. If any cable in the system is going to see a lot of current, it's that one.

Check out this diagram from Victron.

Also the second disconnect switch should be on the legacy dc distribution feeder circuit.

@HRTKD one more follow up, in the link you just posted from Victron, the inverter has a mega fuse also after the switch, but in the diagram for this post there is only the Class T before the fuse. Is the second fuse required?

Thank you,

@HRTKD one more follow up, in the link you just posted from Victron, the inverter has a mega fuse also after the switch, but in the diagram for this post there is only the Class T before the fuse. Is the second fuse required?

Most of us are using over current protection on both sides. I have a Class T fuse between the battery and the switch and MEGA fuses between the common bus bar and the Multiplus.

My two batteries are rated for 120 amps, each based on what the BMS is capable of. So a total of 240 amps. My Class T fuse is only 225 amps. It's a bit undersized given what the BMS can do. However, I don't have enough loads to draw even 200 amps, which means there is enough headroom. I should be using a larger Class T fuse. If it ever blows I'll bump up to a larger one.

Most of us are using over current protection on both sides. I have a Class T fuse between the battery and the switch and MEGA fuses between the common bus bar and the Multiplus.

My two batteries are rated for 120 amps, each based on what the BMS is capable of. So a total of 240 amps. My Class T fuse is only 225 amps. It's a bit undersized given what the BMS can do. However, I don't have enough loads to draw even 200 amps, which means there is enough headroom. I should be using a larger Class T fuse. If it ever blows I'll bump up to a larger one.
Thank you, I'm in the middle of installing a 2000W inverter, 2 x 105 Ah battery and a transfer switch in a small travel trailer. I have a 250 amp Class T. This all becomes confusing as there are so many set ups I see while trying to follow these threads. Sorry to hijack this thread and thank you for the help.

@Zwy tks..but why? What makes it prefered?

It sort of makes sense to me to the switch before. If you want to turn power off to fuse to replace it..you have to disconnect the battery.
If you turn the switch off when it is after the fuse, there wouldn't be a load anyway. Keep fuses as close to power source as you can.

Hmm. I believe you meant, “

AC is electricity
A/C is air conditioning
I'm so easily confused :) I've actually seen it written both ways.
Alternating Current is two words
Air Conditioning is two words.

So is AC correct or is A/C correct? LOL

It is supposedly "solar ready" which kind of looks like a joke to me as far as wiring from the roof, light gauge and 20 amp fuse on it.

Thanks in advance!
That wiring might be the typical 10 gauge solar cable. Should be fine for 10 Amp. Some large panels have 10A output, 5.5A - 8A for others, double for parallel. Think Power Loss W= Current * Current * Ohms. 25ft run of 10gauge, is 50ft round trip, is 0.05 ohms. So the loss at 10A would be 5W.

So is AC correct or is A/C correct? LOL
It’s 120VAC not 120VA/C
AC is sortofa acronym.
A technical colloquialism.

A/C is the accepted nomenclature for air conditioning.
actually seen it written both ways.
Porsche is said two ways.
Jaguar is said two or three ways.
Haverhill is said mostly two ways.
Barre is said two ways.
Ariana is said several ways.
Is paraffin wax? Or kerosene?

Of course these days A/C could be identifying as electricity. That’s a bit shocking, current capacity aside.
Watt you do could be amping up a controversy. Ohm I gawd I better not open that circuit. I’ve hertz that can short circuit things. Need to stay grounded.

Snicker, snicker.
laugh.gif

Back