diy solar

diy solar

Can you set a chargeverter to keep a bank 20-40% charged by voltage control?

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I am working with an XW+, MPPT 100 600, 3.8kw array (not yet built), grid input available, and 24-60kw daily consumption. Battery bank will be 15kwh to start and then grow.

For reasons partially justified and partially irrational I am considering breaking the system out into double conversion. With all loads running off the XW+ from DC all the time, like an off grid system, and utility power only coming in via a chargeverter.

This concept would require a lot more manual tinkering and customized automation of the charging logic.

The charger could come on via relay trigger from the Schneider system, relay trigger from the BMS, a timer, or a combination of those.

However, I don't want the charger to kick on at 1am or whatever and fully charge the bank from utility, leaving too little room to absorb the next days solar production.

This would all be a lot easier if the chargeverter could maintain the bank at 20% and variably provide charging below that without charging to above that.

Does it work that way? Say if I set charging voltage to 51.2 or 51.6 or something around there, would it put variable amps into the bank depending on the load below that charge state, and then when the load is removed would it taper off amperage as the bank comes back up to 51.6, effectively holding the bank at 20%?

Also, importantly, if solar brings the bank up above that to 54-58v, would a chargeverter set to 51.6 happily sit their idle against the 58v bank, waiting for it to drop below 51.6?

Maybe it would need to be 52 or something, but you get the idea.

If it does work this way I could almost not require any charger relay logic at all. Charger could be enabled all the time as a backstop power supply.

(note: I realize this could cause some balancing problems over time depending on solar charging, and I could do manual full charges once in a while to top balance)

Last edited:
Would you run the Chargeverter at 120 or 240V? Do you have SolarAssistant monitoring state of charge?

With 120V it would be easy to use a smart plug and Home Assistant to automate it based on SoC from SolarAssistant. Just slightly harder at 240V.

Would you run the Chargeverter at 120 or 240V? Do you have SolarAssistant monitoring state of charge?

With 120V it would be easy to use a smart plug and Home Assistant to automate it based on SoC from SolarAssistant. Just slightly harder at 240V.
240v 20 amp supply. Not afraid of building a 240v relay for control, by smart plug or any other way.

I'm planning to try building with an Orion JR2 BMS at first, so I don't think solarassistant is compatible, but it's a good point that I should probably be looking to do this the better way with SOC control. Maybe the Orion can trigger an aux relay on SOC and it's actually quite a simple binary state.

But then it could probably use some hysteresis too so it doesn't flicker repeatedly on and off around the 20% state. I was hoping voltage control would provide natural smoothing.

I am working with an XW+, MPPT 100 600, 3.8kw array (not yet built), grid input available, and 24-60kw daily consumption. Battery bank will be 15kwh to start and then grow.

For reasons partially justified and partially irrational I am considering breaking the system out into double conversion. With all loads running off the XW+ from DC all the time, like an off grid system, and utility power only coming in via a chargeverter.

This concept would require a lot more manual tinkering and customized automation of the charging logic.

The charger could come on via relay trigger from the Schneider system, relay trigger from the BMS, a timer, or a combination of those.

However, I don't want the charger to kick on at 1am or whatever and fully charge the bank from utility, leaving too little room to absorb the next days solar production.

This would all be a lot easier if the chargeverter could maintain the bank at 20% and variably provide charging below that without charging to above that.

Does it work that way? Say if I set charging voltage to 51.2 or 51.6 or something around there, would it put variable amps into the bank depending on the load below that charge state, and then when the load is removed would it taper off amperage as the bank comes back up to 51.6, effectively holding the bank at 20%?

Also, importantly, if solar brings the bank up above that to 54-58v, would a chargeverter set to 51.6 happily sit their idle against the 58v bank, waiting for it to drop below 51.6?

Maybe it would need to be 52 or something, but you get the idea.

If it does work this way I could almost not require any charger relay logic at all. Charger could be enabled all the time as a backstop power supply.

(note: I realize this could cause some balancing problems over time depending on solar charging, and I could do manual full charges once in a while to top balance)
Simple answer yes.

Personally I would (does the XW+ have a generator relay?) use the generator relay on the xw+ to activate a 2 pole contactor, set the CV at 51v and sufficent amperage to cover base loads.

The CV is loud so keep that inmind.

Last edited:
The CV is loud so keep that inmind.
Yeah my primary concern about using the chargeverter. I explored some of the SMPS / DIY Chargenectifier threads though, and it seems to arrive at a lot of other options with similarly sized fans.

The location is pretty ok for noise, like if I run the EG4 15A charger there I don't notice it at all, but I know 40mm fans can be a different kind of noise. Might end up playing around with a Noctua fan swap and possibly fan speed limiters depending on the current and heat.

I am certainly open to any other charger ideas anyone has.

It might be an option to build a bank of something like this for silent operation: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/hlg-320h-54a/7704052

Last edited:
Back