diy solar

diy solar

Can't Get Giandel Inverter to turn on

papasleep

I built a 24v system that I use to power a small cabin. 8 100w panels, giandel 2000w inverter, epever solar controller and 4 battleborn 100aH batteries. Based on a system that Will featured in a video and post. It has been working perfectly for about 3 months. Not too much draw. The other day while some work was being done we had only intermittent sunlight and the batteries discharded to the limit we had programmed. The system shut down. Today with full sun, it seems the batteries have not recharged and the inverter will not power on. Am I missing something? Is there a reset? Do I need to charge the batteries from a generator? I've essentially shut down the entire cabin, so I'm not continuing to draw down the batteries. Any thoughts?

2S2P batteries can get out of balance. There are accounts of BB batteries losing 50% of their capacity due to them never being charged to 14.2V.

BMS low voltage protection can trigger short circuit protection when battery attempts to reconnect to inverter.

Do you have a pre-charge circuit? If not:

A #2 pencil sharpened at both ends works well as a resistor... about 6Ω.

Recommend you parallel your 4 batteries and charge them to 14.2V and hold them there for several hours.

thanks to you both...I'll start by testing the batteries...and then get them charged up. I had seen that pre-charge video, but didn't pay much attention since the system was up and working.

thanks to you both...I'll start by testing the batteries...and then get them charged up. I had seen that pre-charge video, but didn't pay much attention since the system was up and working.

BMS protection events and disconnection for servicing/reconfiguration often require the use of a pre-charge resistor. Some MPPT, Victron for sure, if powered on and PV is available, may precharge the inverter caps prior to connecting the battery to the inverter. Other charging sources that might be active at the time can do so as well.

New information that I don't understand...I have four Battleborn 100aH batteries...connected in series/parallel to create a 24v system. Battery 1-12.4v, battery 2-6,4v, battery 3-12.6v and battery 4-6.3 volts. How does one battery in the pair discharge while the other stays at 12v? I'll go back and check my wiring...but I thought I had followed the wiring diagram correctly. Any thoughts?

'

New information that I don't understand...I have four Battleborn 100aH batteries...connected in series/parallel to create a 24v system. Battery 1-12.4v, battery 2-6,4v, battery 3-12.6v and battery 4-6.3 volts. How does one battery in the pair discharge while the other stays at 12v? I'll go back and check my wiring...but I thought I had followed the wiring diagram correctly. Any thoughts?

'

batteries 2 and 3 are in BMS protection mode. Those are not likely real voltage values - just what the BMS is reporting.

12.4 and 12.6V are at very low states of charge maybe 15%, and individual cells within them may be at 0%.

You need to:

Recommend you parallel your 4 batteries and charge them to 14.2V and hold them there for several hours.

Yup, sounds like ya went too deep on discharge, and two Batts dropped out.
I'd disconnect them all, arrange them in parallel, and hook to a 12V charger until they all hit 14V

Back