diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

At this point, after reading all the negative posts about lack of communication. Wondering if I should start getting a refund from my credit card company. Paid thru, Goods and services.
The longer you wait, the lower your chances of recovering your money become. I would contact your card company ASAP, and get the paperwork / investigation going. Best case, Michael gives you a refund and you can tell the CC company that it's all good.

post 393, pieces of black tape on the side toward the top of the battery, same cell with broken off post. The cell also has a lot of side damage....like it spent the day being dragged through the streets of town.
I saw that. It did not look (to me) like someone intentionally put tape on it, more like something just got stuck to the battery through the big hole in the box. There even seems to be some cardboard stuck on there too. I thought everyone was talking about the clear tape that was put on the box to cover the hole in the box.

I saw that. It did not look (to me) like someone intentionally put tape on it, more like something just got stuck to the battery through the big hole in the box. There even seems to be some cardboard stuck on there too. I thought everyone was talking about the clear tape that was put on the box to cover the hole in the box.
It looks like Kapton tape, which would lend to the idea that particular cell is definitely used and in breaking down the original "battery", pieces of the tape were left behind. Just an opinion of course. The receiver of the cells may be able to tell something entirely different.

Just posting this post that I posted on another thread

Hi all and @Michael B Caro

Wondering how to proceed with these cells. Ordered on February 9th and finally received cells yesterday from Michael. They are supposed to be CATL 310 but there are no markings whatsoever and the QR codes have been removed. They are also damaged and bloated. I actually think they are ok but would like input from someone that knows better than me. All 4 cells test at 3.291 volts out of the box.

The packaging was terrible, with no padding on the sides and just a thin foam on top. The box was not totally destroyed but it was damaged.

There don't seem to be any leaks but they are damaged as you can see in the pics.

This group has been great and would appreciate any input.

At this point, I feel like it's a total loss. IMG_0631.JPGIMG_0632.JPGIMG_0634.JPGIMG_0635.JPGIMG_0636.JPGIMG_0637.JPGIMG_0637.JPGIMG_0638.JPGIMG_0638.JPGIMG_0639.JPGIMG_0640.JPG

Just posting this post that I posted on another thread

Hi all and @Michael B Caro

Wondering how to proceed with these cells. Ordered on February 9th and finally received cells yesterday from Michael. They are supposed to be CATL 310 but there are no markings whatsoever and the QR codes have been removed. They are also damaged and bloated. I actually think they are ok but would like input from someone that knows better than me. All 4 cells test at 3.291 volts out of the box.

The packaging was terrible, with no padding on the sides and just a thin foam on top. The box was not totally destroyed but it was damaged.

There don't seem to be any leaks but they are damaged as you can see in the pics.

This group has been great and would appreciate any input.

At this point, I feel like it's a total loss. View attachment 62718View attachment 62719View attachment 62720View attachment 62721View attachment 62722View attachment 62723View attachment 62723View attachment 62724View attachment 62724View attachment 62725View attachment 62726
Look at my post #421. If you feel comfortable with it, do it.

I've posted video of me unpacking my cells. In this thread.

Count me in as having damaged box and cells from shipping. Also only 1/2 my order has arrived for some reason?

[QUOTE="Mightymach]
We can finally put this to bed....Michael sold anything but new cells from his supplier.
[/QUOTE]

He didn’t sell anything he just used his limited reputation on this site to help an overseas vendor off load what should have gone to a recycling facility. Again I feel his group buy thread should be locked by the admins or at least not allow him to offer his “services” anymore.

[QUOTE="Mightymach]
We can finally put this to bed....Michael sold anything but new cells from his supplier.

He didn’t sell anything he just used his limited reputation on this site to help an overseas vendor off load what should have gone to a recycling facility. Again I feel his group buy thread should be locked by the admins or at least not allow him to offer his “services” anymore.
[/QUOTE]

I bought from Michael and Michael profited from it. Why would you advocate for locking this thread? People have been wronged, period. People have been promised items and it has not happened. With all due respect, you, sir, are out of line.

I said lock his group buy thread or prevent him from starting another group buy, not this thread and that’s to prevent his “vendors” from using this site to offload junk to unsuspecting future customers.

I said lock his group buy thread or prevent him from starting another group buy, not this thread and that’s to prevent his “vendors” from using this site to offload junk to unsuspecting future customers.
Thank you for pointing that out (again) and accept my apologies.

If Michael doesn't come through with some type of positive resolution then yes I agree he should not be allowed to do anything on this form again.

I agree with @740GLE 's sentiment about Michael being blocked somehow from generating further business using this forum.
I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish that, but on his BBB website, he uses the name of this forum and has a link to this forum and also his messaging.

I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was the seller he bought from who is ripping off him and everyone else .... but so far, his response has been abysmal .... and it's now been 3 weeks since the first terrible packages started showing up.

Did everyone here know that they were getting low grade or used batteries?

I did. I specifically asked for a variety of prices along the grade scale, and chose the lowest cost one, which he explained as follows:

CATL from EV packs (these are top notch cells that have never been used but were made into EV packs for Tesla and the like. The packs sat in the warehouse a bit too long, or were made obsolete by design changes, and so they were dismantled and the cells thoroughly tested. The cells that passed all of the tests (which was nearly all of them minus the ones that were physically damaged during the dismantling) were wrapped in PVC wrap and had studs laser welded on. They should be sold as "used", although many suppliers don't do that, and they were never actually used at all when in the EV packs or any other way. I would actually rate these a step above the run of the mill Grade A commodity cells that are usually sold on Alibaba.

So I would define them as "new old stock removed from new, unused assemblies". The age and cosmetic defects are the only difference between these as "new grade A". I'd expect "new grade A+" to be matched and batched - internal resistance, and capacity.

Since these assemblies were matched and batched originally in larger groups for the original purpose, it's highly likely that the group I get will have come from a single assembly, and thus be matched and batched.

Due to the nature of the history of the cells, I expect the barcodes/labels/markings to be removed or rendered unreadable - they were manufactured and warranted for a specific customer and use, and the warranty/guarantee is not part of the sale. They are reduced price units so the supplier who was left holding the bag can recoup some of their cost, but if they offered the warranty they would lose even more in their situation.

Last edited:
Someone posted in the group buy thread they heard from Michael and he is working on getting this resolved. He has been on the forum very recently engaged in conversations. I would suggest being a bit more patient to hear from him. It would be nice if he posted an update on the forum and I am disappointed he hasn't. But let's give him a bit more time to make this right.

Go ahead and blame Michael for everything....it won't do you or anyone else any good. The majority of us know this disaster was not Michael's fault. You are another one putting more logs into the fire and that does no one any good.

Any threads relating to this mishap including his group buy thread should remain open for discussion.

I got 8 of the 16 310s I ordered. My boxes (especially 1) looked like the others on this thread. Also my batteries (especially out of that one box) look banged up. 2 of the batteries I got are slightly a different blue then the others for some reason? More of a periwinkle rather then a royal blue.... Also the sides are very damaged on several. Are these safe for me to have in my house? And how do I tell if they are M8 310ah ? 20210902_125155.jpg20210902_125205.jpg20210902_125445.jpg20210902_125228.jpg

I got 8 of the 16 310s I ordered. My boxes (especially 1) looked like the others on this thread. Also my batteries (especially out of that one box) look banged up. 2 of the batteries I got are slightly a different blue then the others for some reason? More of a periwinkle rather then a royal blue.... Also the sides are very damaged on several. Are these safe for me to have in my house? And how do I tell if they are M8 310ah ? View attachment 62795View attachment 62792View attachment 62793View attachment 62794
Is that last one rust??

I would suggest being a bit more patient to hear from him. It would be nice if he posted an update on the forum and I am disappointed he hasn't. But let's give him a bit more time to make this right.

I agree completely. Given that everyone affected had to wait 8+ weeks for the original order, it's odd to see some expecting a resolution in a fraction of that time.

Is that last one rust??

The same cell is shown in the second picture. It's probably rust, but not from the cell. It appears to have been used as a hockey puck on a rusty steel floor. ;)

Not unless you can read Chinese? Looks like it was shipped to an intermediary in California.

唛头 pretty much translates to "shipping mark"
未 translates to "not yet", "have not" or used at the end of a sentence to ask if something is done yet.

Michael messaged me and says my shipment said sender had it returned, but somehow seems only 1/2 the order was returned? He says he going to talk to the supplier and get this fixed

Back