diy solar

diy solar

Cerbo GX Touch 50 3D printed mount

ohthetrees

Thought someone might be interested...

I installed a GX touch (cerbo) in my boat. I really like the system, but the viewing angle of the display is poor, and touching the screen was awkward with where I had it mounted. It looks washed out when looking from slightly above. I designed and 3d printed a mount that 1) filled a pre-existing cutout in my panel and 2) angled the display so that I can see it much better. Here are a couple of pics. Tried to attach the STL in case someone wants to print their own, but the forum software won't allow it. If someone wants the STL, let me know, and I'll figure out how to get it to you.

Attachments

• CerboGx.jpg
    CerboGx.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 56
Man I need to get a 3d printer.

That's sweet!
Once you get a printer and learn a CAD program (I use Fusion360) you find all kinds of things to make. Kina like getting a welder and then suddenly there's lots of metal that needs sticking together :)

For my solar project I just finished making a baseplate to mount a Pi4, SSD & 12v-v converter. I also made some mounts for ESP32's, busbars, terminals, cover plates, etc.

Once you get a printer and learn a CAD program (I use Fusion360) you find all kinds of things to make. Kina like getting a welder and then suddenly there's lots of metal that needs sticking together :)

For my solar project I just finished making a baseplate to mount a Pi4, SSD & 12v-v converter. I also made some mounts for ESP32's, busbars, terminals, cover plates, etc.
I have a Millermatic 251 welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter, and a 36 x 36 Trinity sandblast cabinet.. I think I'd rather give up a kidney than any of those fabrication resources.

I draw in 3D with autocad 14.. Not sure how that would work with a 3d printer.

I was going to buy one about 4 months ago but I don't think the technology is quite far enough along for my purposes, although its close.. I know they've come a long way but it seems like every year there are big advancements. I was looking at machines in the $3k range.

I'm interested in UV Stable plastics and things like HDPE, PVC and other tough materials. While your display bracket is very cool, it would be an odd-ball thing for me.. I'm more interested in things meant to take abuse, outdoor environments, and even high temperatures if that ever becomes an option.

Some things I wish I could have 3D printed lately:
Adapter clamps to fit 1 inch square tubing to hold LED lights on my Golf Cart.
A switch plate for the golf cart dash board.
Battery adapter for an 18650 charger (could have done that with any common printer)
Magnetic base holder for the insulation panel we cover our whole house exhaust fan with when winter comes.
Wand Holder for my yard sprayer so it stops falling off the rig all the time.

That's just in the past two months... I'm sure I could have come up with a lot more if I actually had a printer. Which printer do you own? Do you like it? Limitations or problems?

I have a Millermatic 251 welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter, and a 36 x 36 Trinity sandblast cabinet.. I think I'd rather give up a kidney than any of those fabrication resources.

I was going to buy one about 4 months ago but I don't think the technology is quite far enough along for my purposes, although its close.. I know they've come a long way but it seems like every year there are big advancements. I was looking at machines in the $3k range.

I'm interested in UV Stable plastics and things like HDPE, PVC and other tough materials. While your display bracket is very cool, it would be an odd-ball thing for me.. I'm more interested in things meant to take abuse, outdoor environments, and even high temperatures if that ever becomes an option.

Battery adapter for an 18650 charger (could have done that with any common printer)
Magnetic base holder for the insulation panel we cover our whole house exhaust fan with when winter comes.

That's just in the past two months... I'm sure I could have come up with a lot more if I actually had a printer. Which printer do you own? Do you like it? Limitations or problems?
I have an Ender Pro. I bought it early last year. The filament additive printers are pretty cheap to buy and play around with. A couple hundred bucks gets you something you can use and make parts out of ABS, ASA, PLA, PETG, etc. I also thought about getting a resin printer to go along with it but I'm good using what I have for now.

I have a MIG welder, plasma cutter, TIG welder, etc. If I need anything fancy then one of my sons is a machinist :)

I have an Ender Pro. I bought it early last year. The filament additive printers are pretty cheap to buy and play around with. A couple hundred bucks gets you something you can use and make parts out of ABS, ASA, PLA, PETG, etc. I also thought about getting a resin printer to go along with it but I'm good using what I have for now.

I have a MIG welder, plasma cutter, TIG welder, etc. If I need anything fancy then one of my sons is a machinist :)
Do you miss not having a hood to run the higher temperature stuff?

You can do all those things projects with a 3d printer. There are all kinds of filaments with different properties available. I live on my boat, so I have a Prusa Mini which is very compact, yet still has a decent 180x180x180mm print area. I use it all the time for mechanical and outdoor parts. I'm in Mexico on my boat right now, and I carry 4 kinds of filament:
  • PLA - stronger than most people think, cheap, easy to print, not temp resistant, not UV resistant.
  • PETG - Impact resistant, pretty strong, not too expensive, more temp and UV resistant than PLA
  • ASA - Similar properties to ABS, but easier to print (but harder than PLA and PETG) and smells better. Tough, and good temperature and UV properties.
  • Polycarbonate - Super strong, very high temp resistance, but hard to print, and poor UV resistance.
Some things I've made in the last month:
  • Puzzle toys for my kids
  • Clamps to hold sun-cover to my shrouds - UV and Strength
  • Bayonette caps for deck-washdowns - UV
  • Vertical wall mount for a raspberry pi + desktop HD + powersupply
  • Book ends and custom shelf organizers for my wife
  • Batten Caps for my sail-battens - High Strength
My most ambitious project was a combined battery box and electronics box for my 45 year old motorcycle. It had to match up with existing bolt pattern, hold a new smaller lithium battery and Motogadget electronics unit, be temp and UV resistant. I've been riding it for a year, including 600 miles in 105º temps and it is holding up.

It is a worthwhile hobby, and super useful from people like me who are away from normal parts availability. However, it has a serious learning curve, and there is a lot to both the 3d modeling and the 3d printing. It is not turnkey.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.54.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.54.37 PM.png
    685.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You can do all those things projects with a 3d printer. There are all kinds of filaments with different properties available. I live on my boat, so I have a Prusa Mini which is very compact, yet still has a decent 180x180x180mm print area. I use it all the time for mechanical and outdoor parts. I'm in Mexico on my boat right now, and I carry 4 kinds of filament:
  • PLA - stronger than most people think, cheap, easy to print, not temp resistant, not UV resistant.
  • PETG - Impact resistant, pretty strong, not too expensive, more temp and UV resistant than PLA
  • ASA - Similar properties to ABS, but easier to print (but harder than PLA and PETG) and smells better. Tough, and good temperature and UV properties.
  • Polycarbonate - Super strong, very high temp resistance, but hard to print, and poor UV resistance.
My most ambitious project was a combined battery box and electronics box for my 45 year old motorcycle. It had to match up with existing bolt pattern, hold a new smaller lithium battery and Motogadget electronics unit, be temp and UV resistant. I've been riding it for a year, including 600 miles in 105º temps and it is holding up.

It is a worthwhile hobby, and super useful from people like me who are away from normal parts availability. However, it has a serious learning curve, and there is a lot to both the 3d modeling and the 3d printing. It is not turnkey.
That first picture (Clamp) is the kind of thing I'd probably make a lot of.. And then it would live its life in the sun..

That first picture (Clamp) is the kind of thing I'd probably make a lot of.. And then it would live its life in the sun..

ASA is very UV resistant, and will hold up fine outside.

Excellent review! Sounds like its a good fit. That is awesome!

Back