diy solar

diy solar

Charge 24V system with 48V

It’s not entirely done yet, I need some more fusing but it’s IMO, another cool way to utilize the Victron ecosystem to do some interesting things.

I know people keep saying use a battery charger but they’re continually missing a major point of this project. The #1 priority here is to ensure that if/when a low SOC threshold is met, the system can automatically sip power from the 48V system to prevent a system shutdown and utilize a much more powerful 1200 amp battery bank for backup.

It will be interesting to see it in production, but right now I’m pretty impressed with the configurability of the Victron ecosystem.

I assume that the 24 volt system has the ability to plug into the grid or to a generator in order to charge correct? If that is the case simply take the output of your 48 volt inverter and plug it in to your 24 volt charger you'd either be charging at 110 or 240 volts depending on the outputs and inputs of the respective inverters

I assume that the 24 volt system has the ability to plug into the grid or to a generator in order to charge correct? If that is the case simply take the output of your 48 volt inverter and plug it in to your 24 volt charger you'd either be charging at 110 or 240 volts depending on the outputs and inputs of the respective inverters
The 24v system is isolated, only a single 550w panel and it has a single critical loads circuit that it runs. Other words, there is no form of charging besides the Orion or the solar panel.

It’s basically a fault tolerant and redundant solar system for an off grid home where it is critical that system monitoring of the home stay online, even if the main inverter has a issue.

If the main inverter goes down, then it is just as likely that that entire main power system is down, not just the inverter.

If your 24 volt system really is as critical as you are suggesting, then that is where the redundancy needs to be.

If the main inverter goes down, then it is just as likely that that entire main power system is down, not just the inverter.

If your 24 volt system really is as critical as you are suggesting, then that is where the redundancy needs to be.
I hear what you’re saying, but I guess it’s not as much about redundancy as it is about separation of systems and isolation of load.

diy solar

diy solar
Back