diy solar

diy solar

charge rate for 24 volt 200 Ah LifePo

Skip

Prairie Hermit
I'm new to LifePo. Looking to replace AGM batteries. I've discovered that my solar array and generator are both undersized for full charging of my AGM batteries. The panels are barely minimum for the BEST conditions. The generator only puts out 20 amps and I need 30.
I'm doing a cost benefit analysis.
Will my generator delivering 4275 watts and 19 amps (running) and my panels delivering 2500 watts max at 50 amps be adequate to fully charge two 24 volt 100Ah Life Po batteries.
I'm trying to understand the full charging requirements of LifePo (vs AGM). Much less expensive to buy new batteries than new generator and more panels.
Thanks

I'm new to LifePo. Looking to replace AGM batteries. I've discovered that my solar array and generator are both undersized for full charging of my AGM batteries. The panels are barely minimum for the BEST conditions. The generator only puts out 20 amps and I need 30.
I'm doing a cost benefit analysis.
Will my generator delivering 4275 watts and 19 amps (running) and my panels delivering 2500 watts max at 50 amps be adequate to fully charge two 24 volt 100Ah Life Po batteries.
I'm trying to understand the full charging requirements of LifePo (vs AGM). Much less expensive to buy new batteries than new generator and more panels.
Thanks
By the way. I know the voltage requirements, what I need to understand is the amperage requirements.
Thanks

I use my Generator to charge my battery bank through my Samlex EVO 4024 Inverter/Charger.
I have the Charger set to deliver 80A @ 24V, the INPUT from Generator is 120V/23A / 2700-2800W output.
I use the L5:30A plug on the generator for this purpose.
The generator is a Champion Model #201079 (CDN Model) and it has been great.
By charging @ 80A, I still get enough from the genset to also run the house concurrently (lighter load) via the passthrough capability of the Samlex.
Here is a LIST of the 4650W Family of generators, some electric start, some single / dual fuel and more options.

I have 6 Battery Packs in Parallel for a total of 1294AH/33kWh @ 24V.

Your 2x 24V/100AH batteries can take a MAX of 50A Charge each. At 50A (0.5C) you will likely hit High Volt Disconnect by the time the weakest cell in the battery pack reaches 3.400V. Shared between two packs 50A will charge both packs within 4 hours. You DO NOT want to exceed 0.5C Charge Rate as that will damage the batteries.

If your generator is 4275W the 120V plugs are likely 20A, if it has an L5 Plug, that is likely 120V/30A, check your manual.

Hope it helps, Good Luck

I use my Generator to charge my battery bank through my Samlex EVO 4024 Inverter/Charger.
I have the Charger set to deliver 80A @ 24V, the INPUT from Generator is 120V/23A / 2700-2800W output.
I use the L5:30A plug on the generator for this purpose.
The generator is a Champion Model #201079 (CDN Model) and it has been great.
By charging @ 80A, I still get enough from the genset to also run the house concurrently (lighter load) via the passthrough capability of the Samlex.
Here is a LIST of the 4650W Family of generators, some electric start, some single / dual fuel and more options.

I have 6 Battery Packs in Parallel for a total of 1294AH/33kWh @ 24V.

Your 2x 24V/100AH batteries can take a MAX of 50A Charge each. At 50A (0.5C) you will likely hit High Volt Disconnect by the time the weakest cell in the battery pack reaches 3.400V. Shared between two packs 50A will charge both packs within 4 hours. You DO NOT want to exceed 0.5C Charge Rate as that will damage the batteries.

If your generator is 4275W the 120V plugs are likely 20A, if it has an L5 Plug, that is likely 120V/30A, check your manual.

Hope it helps, Good Luck
Thanks Steve:
That helps.
My generator feeds 240v into the Conext SW inverter. Running on propane, that "30 amp" outlet only delivers 19 amps max. AC. I just need to set the inverter/charger parameters correctly. If I'm understanding correctly, the standard charge rate is 30 amp per battery and 50a max, so if I set the inverter/charger to charge at 80 amps for both, that would be in the middle. The maximum charge rate output for my inverter/charger is 90A (100%), so I would set it to something like 89% to be near the middle of the range of 30 to 50. 60amps (standard charge rate) would be 67%. They always have to make things difficult. That's within the capacity of the generator.
Easier to replace batteries than both replacing generator and adding solar panels.
All the voltages for Bulk/Absorb/Float stay the same as my AGM.

Back