diy solar

diy solar

Charger shuts off. BMS shows fault

SailCS33

Screenshot_20210216-181303_SMART BMS.jpg

Maybe someone could help me out. Received my first ever 200ah lifepo4 pack. Did not top balance the cells because I don't have 3.6v charger. I did connect all 4 pluses and 4 minuses for 3 days to self balance.
Now i have them charging through daly smart bms. Cell voltage shows a bit different. I don't know what is acceptable deviation.

Soc shows 100% which jumped in minutes from 67 to 100. Main concern is the fault level 2. What does it mean?

Thank you all very much.

Val

Last edited:
Welcome to what happens when you don't top balance.

I would assume the error message is that cell #2 went over limits.

Lower charge voltage to 13.9V or lower in 0.1V increments until the BMS stops tripping.
Ensure BMS is configured to balance only above 3.4V and only during charge.

From there, you use the battery for a week, raise it up 0.1V and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, lower it back down. If it does go away, raise it 0.1V. Rinse and repeat every week until you eventually reach your desired charge voltage.

That amount of deviation is NOT acceptable. How much balance current does your BMS have?

You could use a 1 or 2 ohm 50 W resistor to bleed off the high cell .... right now, your highest cell is at the high limit.

Ensure BMS is configured to balance only above 3.4V and only during charge.

Thank you. Only follow up questions are:

Balance Voltage. Currently set to 3.2. Is that the setting i need to change to 3.4?
Also, I cannot seem to find a way to make sure it only balances during charge. Do you know where I can find it? I have both Smart BMS app and Sinowealth BMS tool on Windows 10

Thanks again

Thank you. Only follow up questions are:

Balance Voltage. Currently set to 3.2. Is that the setting i need to change to 3.4?
Also, I cannot seem to find a way to make sure it only balances during charge. Do you know where I can find it? I have both Smart BMS app and Sinowealth BMS tool on Windows 10

Thanks again

Yes, balance voltage 3.4.

Not all have the feature for charging only. Raising it to 3.4 should help to force balancing mostly during charge only.

Back