diy solar

diy solar

Chargeverter V2-extension cord

LarryEW

I'm using some available 8/3 cable to make an extension cord for my new unit, plugging into L14-30R on a 9000/7500 generator which has a 120/240 30a switch. Wiring via the pinout diagram, will I actually get 240 to the CV or just 120? Trying not to miss anything; plan is to charge approx 63a x 56v.

cv.png

I'm using some available 8/3 cable to make an extension cord for my new unit, plugging into L14-30R on a 9000/7500 generator which has a 120/240 30a switch. Wiring via the pinout diagram, will I actually get 240 to the CV or just 120? Trying not to miss anything; plan is to charge approx 63a x 56v.

View attachment 209865
You could get direct 240 out, but ONLY for use with 240loads. Without the neutral, 120V loads will do VERY strange and disruptive things.

I think what the diagrams say is that the Blue and Brown wires are the AC supply, if you feed it 120Vac or 240Vac on those leads is up to you and will give you different output power maximums. How's the generator output socket wired?
This shows two hot, neutral, groundNema_L14-30.png

So best to add a 4th wire to the "not used" pole? Thanks for your replies..
If all you want it to provide is 240 volt, wire it like wpns' photo, minus the neutral wire.
You do not need a wire going to the neutral terminal for either 120 volt, or 240 volt.
Edit: my advice is for a cord for chargeverter only.

Here are the wiring diagrams,looks like ground is reversed..and yes this cord will be for the CV only:
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 9.01.59 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-17 at 9.06.35 AM.png

If all you want it to provide is 240 volt, wire it like wpns' photo, minus the neutral wire.
You do not need a wire going to the neutral terminal for either 120 volt, or 240 volt.
Edit: my advice is for a cord for chargeverter only.
Keep in mind, if ANY 120V loads are connected without the neutral wire, very unhappy things will happen to the loads...

Keep in mind, if ANY 120V loads are connected without the neutral wire, very unhappy things will happen to the loads...
I did a regular 240v/120v extension cord for mine. While you don't need the extra wire for 240v - it does create a custom configured extension cord and you may forget the custom nature of it in the future. For example, maybe a few years from now you have a generator -> socket -> panel for emergency power and forget and try to use this extension cord.

No judgement, just sharing why I went with 'regular' 240v/120v extension cord and one of the nuances I'm thinking of while reading @Supervstech's warning.

I appreciate everyones help! I'll go with a four strand cable for better safety and versatility. I figure 8/3 was overkill so 10/4 will be easier to run through the basement.

I appreciate everyones help! I'll go with a four strand cable for better safety and versatility. I figure 8/3 was overkill so 10/4 will be easier to run through the basement.
If youare running over 25' 8/4 will have less voltage drop.
Just saying...

Wow, so the generator has a switch for 120 or 120/240? That's different!
There's a toggle switch allowing either 240/120 or 120 alone. It's a Genmax which some call junk but I've had no problems so far; goal is to use propane only so we're hoarding tanks. Appreciate the help here--I'm going with 8/4 cable, run is about 30 feet.
toggle.png

Back