diy solar

diy solar

Chargey DCC surge protection.

That would create a 30 ohm path for current all the time .... and wouldn't really be a good thing.

You would only want a resistance in the current path momentarily and only when the DCC is control goes from off to on.

If you do an internet search you will find several automatic pre-charge circuits.

This one uses the Chargery delay board.

That would create a 30 ohm path for current all the time .... and wouldn't really be a good thing.

You would only want a resistance in the current path momentarily and only when the DCC is control goes from off to on.

If you do an internet search you will find several automatic pre-charge circuits.

This one uses the Chargery delay board.
@Chargery i think DCC can be redesigned to make use of a normally closed relay that connects a precharge resistor through when the BMS is OFF. That way DCC won't even need to have a manual power ON switch. The BMS would have total control of it.

A suitably sized bypass transistor can also be used in place of a relay.

@Steve_S please help push this suggestion.

I have written Jason at Chargery and suggested that if they could pulse (duty cycle) the 12v input to the DCC, maybe they could accomplish the same result as the soft start when turning the DCC on. No response for that suggestion. At this time I'm considering wiring the on/off switch on hte DCC to an external relay. That way when BMS turns on the DCC it will actually be turning on the DCC's softstart function. Of course this will stop charging if the BMS turns off the contactor.

I have written Jason at Chargery and suggested that if they could pulse (duty cycle) the 12v input to the DCC, maybe they could accomplish the same result as the soft start when turning the DCC on. No response for that suggestion. At this time I'm considering wiring the on/off switch on hte DCC to an external relay. That way when BMS turns on the DCC it will actually be turning on the DCC's softstart function. Of course this will stop charging if the BMS turns off the contactor.
I like that solution .... much easier than using the delay board.

Make a Youtube video when you do it and then we will have a new solution to offer. Wonder if there is room in the case to add a small SSR for that purpose.

I like that solution .... much easier than using the delay board.

Make a Youtube video when you do it and then we will have a new solution to offer. Wonder if there is room in the case to add a small SSR for that purpose.
I'm kinda old fashioned... I may just document it here.... At anyrate, I have received a12v SSR from ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/322209858572 ). I think I will attach it to 12v discharge port on the DCC. The output side of the relay can be connected in series to the contacts on the DCC's power switch. That way if the BMS drops the discharge connection, the relay will turn OFF the entire DCC.

If you use an optoisolator by itself, I'm sure the whole thing would fit inside theDCC housing.

Attachments

• DCC.png
    DCC.png
    93 KB · Views: 15
Just to add to this thread…. I’ve given up on the chargery DCC. I have blown up three of them. Gigavac gv241fax is better. You’ll still need some sort of soft start though. Perhaps a 10ohm 10w resistor across the load contacts.

Guess there has been no updates to this but I will just have to follow the steps above and use the switch on the DCC.

Guess there has been no updates to this but I will just have to follow the steps above and use the switch on the DCC.
I have heard nothing more from Jason about the DCC issues.... so If I were you, I'd wire up a relay across the DCC's front panel power switch and use that to shut off / turn on for charging instead of the DCC's CHG input. Or your could come to the dark side and buy a gigavac GV241FAX like I ended up doing. :)

I have heard nothing more from Jason about the DCC issues.... so If I were you, I'd wire up a relay across the DCC's front panel power switch and use that to shut off / turn on for charging instead of the DCC's CHG input. Or your could come to the dark side and buy a gigavac GV241FAX like I ended up doing. :)
Haha I already have some of those relays or alike cant remember now which ones I have but was going from those to the DCC's. A 300 and 100 separate port. This is for a portable solar Generator so we will see.

You could also install some sort of automatic pre-charge circuit ..... one example here

Even if you went with relays, you would still have to deal with the pre-charge right?

I have one of the original DCC's and fingers crossed that I will be able to set it up as a separate port with the newer DCC. Still installing and wiring yet to fired it up.

Back