diy solar

diy solar

Charging 24 volt batteries.

Fran365

Is it possible to rig a gas 110v generator to charge a 24 volt battery system?

Code:
ac_domain {
    inverter_generator->ac_charger
}
dc_domain {
    positive
    |<->fuse<->battery<->shunt<->|
    |<-fuse<-ac_charger<---------|
    |->fuse->load--------------->|
                          negative
}

Last edited:
Ok smoothJoey, this does not seem to be expensive. my best idea was the EG4 24v 10amp 110v charger at $140. Fran

A 2000eu Honda, it seems to have settled down but would not start easily from the box. Fran

You can charge with something like this. I use one of these to charge a 24v 7s Li-ion battery. Set to about 40.5v will give me 4.05 volts per cell.

Thanks DThames, this is new to me. My battery system is 2 12v in series. As little as I kmow the device you pointed out looks like the guts to the system I mentioned. Got some studying to do. I'm assembling a portable 24v 2000 watt system, my 2 loose ends are: I could use a little(shallow well pump) 220v juice and I'd like to charge my 24v batteries if needed.

Thanks DThames, this is new to me. My battery system is 2 12v in series. As little as I kmow the device you pointed out looks like the guts to the system I mentioned. Got some studying to do. I'm assembling a portable 24v 2000 watt system, my 2 loose ends are: I could use a little(shallow well pump) 220v juice and I'd like to charge my 24v batteries if needed.
This not a "charger" by name but will charge a battery. If you are using lead acid, this is less than ideal but will work. Lead Acid need to be charged to a voltage and then held at that voltage until "fully charged". This power source doesn't know if the battery is charged or not. If the voltage out is set just below your ideal full charge voltage, the current will taper toward zero as the battery is fully charged. If you get the voltage a bit higher, a little current will continue to flow even when the battery is fully charged. This is not what you want. If you can charged the battery to 95% and disconnect when it is charged, you can use this. If you want to leave it on charge unattended for hours and hours, a real charger would be a better solution. This is a simple solution. You might find a normal plug into the wall 24v charger but the cost might be more to get similar amps output.

This not a "charger" by name but will charge a battery. If you are using lead acid, this is less than ideal but will work. Lead Acid need to be charged to a voltage and then held at that voltage until "fully charged". This power source doesn't know if the battery is charged or not. If the voltage out is set just below your ideal full charge voltage, the current will taper toward zero as the battery is fully charged. If you get the voltage a bit higher, a little current will continue to flow even when the battery is fully charged. This is not what you want. If you can charged the battery to 95% and disconnect when it is charged, you can use this. If you want to leave it on charge unattended for hours and hours, a real charger would be a better solution. This is a simple solution. You might find a normal plug into the wall 24v charger but the cost might be more to get similar amps output.
I have 2 Battleborn lithiums, thanks for holding my hand on this. Yes, a wall plug charger is $140.

Back