diy solar

diy solar

2000w 24 volt DIY Solar System

Teamster150

I have most of the components for the 2000w 24 volt DIY Solar System. Can I attach solar panels directly to the MPPT to a 24v inverter without attaching Batteries to run the inverter?
Thank you.
Teamster150

No. For the few MPPT that can actually operate battery-less, the startup surge from the inverter will overload the MPPT when unattended.

There may be cases where you get partial functionality. If the inverter is off, and the PV is providing absorption voltage, powering the inverter on with no loads will probably work. If resistive loads are added very gradually, it may work. The issue becomes if the MPPT can adjust to the change in load quickly enough.

I discovered that Victron MPPT can power a system without an attached battery. This became evident when I disconnected my battery from the system yet the inverter kept going.... WTF? Well, my MPPT was already supplying the loads at float voltage, so it just kept chugging along at about 200W output. There were no load changes, so the MPPT didn't have to adjust.

However, trying to get the system started and running loads without the battery in the circuit typically results in inverter shutdown because the MPPT can't provide the power quickly enough, the inverter sees the "battery voltage" drop, and then it shuts down.

Back