diy solar

diy solar

Charging 3 Lipo4 12V 100Ah batteries

Sejac

I am trying to understand MPPT Controllers if I have 3ea lipo4 12v 100ah batteries in parallel and use a 60A mppt controller, does that mean that this is the same as charging each battery at 20A? Hence if say using a 40A controller with 2 batteries would be 20 ea as say a 20A controller with 2 batteries would be the same as 10A each, please help and excuse my ignorance I am trying to learn.

You have it correct; however, how they are connected determines how evenly they share charging and loads. 60A may send 40A into one, 15A into another and 5A into the last... this depends on you.

Consult Victron Wiring Unlimited for a very thorough education.

You have it correct; however, how they are connected determines how evenly they share charging and loads. 60A may send 40A into one, 15A into another and 5A into the last... this depends on you.

Consult Victron Wiring Unlimited for a very thorough education.
How do i remedy this situation so that each battery gets the same amount? Also with 3 batteries I take it 60A MPPT controller best way to go?

If there is an unbalance, I believe as one battery is approaching fully charged the current will flow to the under charged battery, so that unbalance won’t be static through a charging cycle.

Arrangement of bus bar connections and lead lengths play into it.

How do i remedy this situation so that each battery gets the same amount? Also with 3 batteries I take it 60A MPPT controller best way to go?
Just download the 'wiring unlimited' and read about batteries wiring.

Also with 3 batteries I take it 60A MPPT controller best way to go?
depends on the solar panels total power you intend using. You could charge at a lower or higher current.
With suitable connections the three batteries will be seen as one 'big' 300Ah battery by the solar controller.
The cables joining the batteries to be equal lengths and a suitable gauge.

3 batteries.jpg

very rough estimations of solar panel power, required MPPT controller, and time to charge empty to full, assume 5 good sun hours per day.
1200 watts of solar, MPPT controller 100 amps, charge in 3 hours.
800 watts of solar, MPPT controller 60 amps, charge in 5 hours
400 watts of solar, MPPT controller 30 amps, charge in 10 hours ( 2 days)

Mike

Back