diy solar

diy solar

Charging 4 bank: 48v charger or 4x12v charger?

chilling65

Hi folks, I'm hoping to eventually add a solar panel to my outboard motor setup...but for now I'm wondering about two possible chargers and looking for confirmation.
I'll have four 12v batteries (likely Lithium, though still on the fence) connected in series, to power the 48v motor.

I see there are two charging options:
1. Something like Noco's GenPro10x4. a 40amp charger with individual 12v/10A connections to each battery.
2. A 48v charger like Noco's GX4820 that connects to the positive of the battery at the start of the series run, and the negative of the battery at the end.

I don't want to disconnect the batteries each time I charge, and I'm hoping to avoid installing switches or other accessories to isolate the batteries.
My preference is option 1, the 12v x4 option, since these chargers are often available in waterproof models.

But am I sacrificing or risking anything with option 1, compared to option 2?

Thanks!

Have you considered a single 48 volt battery?
I looked into it a bit but I'm needing 100ah, and I don't recall seeing lots, especially in non-lithium.
Update: looking into it more....interesting lithium options. Thanks. Though as mentioned I'm on the fence for the initial investment in Lithium at this time.

Last edited:
I looked into it a bit but I'm needing 100ah, and I don't recall seeing lots, especially in non-lithium.
Update: looking into it more....interesting lithium options. Thanks. Though as mentioned I'm on the fence for the initial investment in Lithium at this time.
Did you ever find an answer to your original question about using a 4x12V charger for charging 4 x 12V batteries in series? I'm looking to do something similar so I can still use my existing 12V charger.

I do not recommend using multiple 12V charges to charge a 48V bank. You will reduce the life cycle of your bank. It is simple better to purchase a 478V charger like this one.

48V Charger 48V 13S Lithium Battery Charger 48V Trickle Charger 48V Battery Charger 54.6V 4A Charger with Anderson Connector(54.6V 4A Anderson)

Back