diy solar

diy solar

Charging a battery via AC wall plug

That is one of these - 2 post MRBF fuse - 175amp MRBF to the inverter - 20 amp to the MPPT.

Technically the MPPT can do 100amps, but I only have panels enough for 9.54 amps. The fuse is for a cut in the wiring verse a problem at the solar. And - I also have a metal combiner box for my 1 string that has a SPD, main breaker, and a 15amp breaker for each string. I can add 4 more strings later.

It is still a work in progress since I just got the all but one part yesterday. Going to string 3 x 335w panels in series for a Voc of 126v and 9.9amps

panels in parallel - voltage the same, current adds.
panels in series - current the same, voltage adds.

My panel Voc is 42v with 9.54amps - I actually have 4 of them, but 1 is hooking to another battery at the other end of the house with its own MPPT. Similar setup but smaller.

Last edited:
That is one of these - 2 post MRBF fuse - 175amp MRBF to the inverter - 20 amp to the MPPT.

Technically the MPPT can do 100amps, but I only have panels enough for 9.54 amps. The fuse is for a cut in the wiring verse a problem at the solar. And - I also have a metal combiner box for my 1 string that has a SPD, main breaker, and a 15amp breaker for each string. I can add 4 more strings later.

It is still a work in progress since I just got the all but one part yesterday. Going to string 3 x 335w panels in series for a Voc of 126v and 9.9amps

panels in parallel - voltage the same, current adds.
panels in series - current the same, voltage adds.

My panel Voc is 42v with 9.54amps - I actually have 4 of them, but 1 is hooking to another battery at the other end of the house with its own MPPT. Similar setup but smaller.

As a newbie, with no electrical background, I like diagrams...

1721241752965.png

I've seen single-post fuses that attach to the battery terminal. Question: can they be stacked? I.e., on the battery, with one cable going to the controller and another going to the inverter?

Last edited:
Follow-up:
Decided my hassle with USB, AC outputs and AC charging was too much trouble, so ordered a new inverter with built-in AC and USB sockets.
Also ordered a separate charger. I think this will simplify my set-up significantly. (Will attempt to sell the old inverter/charger.)

This site provides a nice description, and formulas, for fuses:

Last edited:
Follow-up:
Decided my hassle with USB, AC outputs and AC charging was too much trouble, so ordered a new inverter with built-in AC and USB sockets.
Also ordered a separate charger. I think this will simplify my set-up significantly. (Will attempt to sell the old inverter/charger.)

This site provides a nice description, and formulas, for fuses:

At least for folks with an RV, a good quality inverter/charger will simplify the system. One box, fewer cables. No need to keep track of if the charger is on or off.

diy solar

diy solar
Back