diy solar

diy solar

Charging a DIY battery from EV charger

What , J1772 connector known as type 1 is good for split phase to 80A.
The conversation with @L Hunter has always been about J1772 Type 1 connector.
This is assuming the OP is in the US.
Yes he is.
There is no connector change needed it’s all the one J1772,socket.
If you go back through the conversation you will see that L Hunter has not picked an inverter charger yet and the connection from that to a proposed EVSE adapter has been the conversation with him. These adapters come with a female socket that would need to match the plug attached to the invlerter charger. Do you have a different approach that would be simpler for him?

Last edited:
The conversation with @L Hunter has always been about J1772 Type 1 connector.

Yes he is.

If you go back through the conversation you will see that L Hunter has not picked an inverter charger yet and the connection from that to a proposed EVSE adapter has been the conversation with him. These adapters come with a female socket that would need to match the plug attached to the invlerter charger. Do you have a different approach that would be simpler for him?
Yes all he needs is to buy a j1772 socket it will do all his current needs, this assumes the use of tethered cables. A J1772 plug to plug cable could be a useful addition

The evse interface then sits between the inverter charger and the j1772 socket either in a little box or placed inside an existing enclosure. Easiest is mount the j1772 socket in a custom box along with the interface ( which is just two resistors ) then put a 110 nema socket in that box. You can then use this converter box to power any 110 vac device from an evse

The “ interface “ is a resistor on the Cp line and a resistor on the proximity line, the CP line resistor has to pull the cp below a certain voltage to signal to the evse to release the contactor. The proximity signal must remain low during the contactor release period.

Last edited:
The evse interface then sits between the inverter charger and the j1772 socket either in a little box or placed inside an existing enclosure. Easiest is mount the j1772 socket in a custom box along with the interface ( which is just two resistors ) then put a 110 nema socket in that box. You can then use this converter box to power any 110 vac device from an evse
I will let him speak for himself, but my understanding of what he wants is something much simpler. That is why I have suggested something that is plug and play not solder and try to figure out where to connect the resistors. I am not sure he owns a soldering iron or a VOM..

If he were to buy the j1772 to 14-50 adapter cord linked earlier, all he would then have to do is wire a 14-50p cord to his inverter’s ac input. The end! Could even cut off the 14-50r end of the adapter cord and wire that direct to ac input of inverter/charger.

If one wanted 120v at any point and was buying an inverter charger anyway (this is an assumption, could just buy a charger and no inverter) then the simplest thing in terms of making connections would be to use a split phase inverter/charger that makes both 120 and 240. Otherwise an autotransformer would be needed, but that does add an entire 2nd ‘box’ and set of ‘low quality’ connections to manage.

Once could do without an inverter at all if they had no need to power 120 or 240 devices from their own battery. But it has been my observation that all in one inverter/chargers are basicaly the cheapest form of large 48v charger anyway.

If he were to buy the j1772 to 14-50 adapter cord linked earlier, all he would then have to do is wire a 14-50p cord to his inverter’s ac input. ......
Yes that seemed like the simplest solution for L Hunter based on how he described his skills. He hasn't purchased an inverter/Charger yet but did say he was looking at Victron
If one wanted 120v at any point and was buying an inverter charger anyway (this is an assumption, could just buy a charger and no inverter) then the simplest thing in terms of making connections would be to use a split phase inverter/charger that makes both 120 and 240. Otherwise an autotransformer would be needed, but that does add an entire 2nd ‘box’ and set of ‘low quality’ connections to manage.
I do not know enough about Victron to know if some of the units are split phase or if he would need two. I don't even remember what size his battery is to know what kind of charging rate he might prefer.
Once could do without an inverter at all if they had no need to power 120 or 240 devices from their own battery. But it has been my observation that all in one inverter/chargers are basicaly the cheapest form of large 48v charger anyway.
Good thoughts, As far as I can tell for L Hunter, this is just in the planning stage.

Back