diy solar

diy solar

Charging question

Stacy

Sorry this is likely a very dumb rookie question. To charge my new lithium battery do I need a dedicated ac to dc charger or will the solar charge controllers do double duty? Thinking ahead when the new battery arrives

A charge controller only accepts DC power as input and produces DC output for charging the battery.

If you want something to plug into the wall of the house, you need a separate AC to DC charger.

Also, look at your charge controller‘s specs. Some have reservations about using a PWM charger for lithium batteries, but others have. I will only use MPPT SCCs to charge my lithium’s.

Your battery’s spec sheet will. Tell you bulk and float voltages so you can see if your SCC accommodate this.

A charge controller only accepts DC power as input and produces DC output for charging the battery.

If you want something to plug into the wall of the house, you need a separate AC to DC charger.
Thanks! Any thoughts on anything specific to look for in an ac charger? Didn’t find recommendations on the forum but maybe i missed them

I‘ve found lithium AC to DC chargers are a sore subject. I looked at RV converters, but none really had the correct voltage. Some had an adjustable voltage, but I’m unsure what the float voltage was. You can look at the Iota Series AC to DC chargers or the Iota AC to DC chargers. They come in various sizes and the Iota has plug in profiles based off the battery.

Will recommends an Aims 12/24 Ac to DC chargers, but the only one they manufacture is 70 amps which could be too much for a single battery.

I‘ve found lithium AC to DC chargers are a sore subject. I looked at RV converters, but none really had the correct voltage. Some had an adjustable voltage, but I’m unsure what the float voltage was. You can look at the Iota Series AC to DC chargers or the Iota AC to DC chargers. They come in various sizes and the Iota has plug in profiles based off the battery.

Will recommends an Aims 12/24 Ac to DC chargers, but the only one they manufacture is 70 amps which could be too much for a single battery.
Thanks again, maybe I’m worrying to much and should just charge with my scc only

Back