diy solar

diy solar

Cheap bench power supply - Jesverty WPS-3010

perryfranz

Hi, to encreas the speed of charching batteries, I bought one of the cheapest bench power supply aviable on Amazon.it
I used the Ningbo FTZ Hopewell DF1730SB3A with max output 3A 30V and it takes an eternity to charge the LF280K before the capacity test, absolutly a very good linear power supply but not raccomended for continuous 3A output due his passive heatsink on the back, I had to place an external fan always on to keep it cool, and also the current is too low for this work.
So, I bought this Jesverty WPS-3010 30V 10A max, it's a switching power supply, with cheap bluilt (but it seems sturdy) and very light.
41ZM3-gzpjL._SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

It came in a very nice box well protected with the user manual, some basic instruction of how set the current for beginner and one set of useless cable (0.75mm^2) banana-alligator, absolutly not raccomended for 30V 10A if you're not planning to turn those in like a lightbulb.
It has all the specifics of a cheap power supply:
- the on-off button on the front is only the main switch, does not control only the output.
- long time to discharge the capacitor after shut off (with low current you can hear a hiss that goes away with high current or a heavy load)
- peak of voltage when turn on (fused a small 6V bicycle bulb, on 3.6V set previously) I do not raccomend to turn it on when the battery is connected, better safe than sorry.
But also it has some pros:
- internal fan really silent that start spinning at low velocity and garually increas it, now is working for an hour and the fan is not disturbing me at all, but you can evaluate by yourself
- cheap price but overall good quality for an hobbyist

I will add some further feddback (maybe is going to brake after 1 battery, for 60€...) but for now I'm happy about it.

I also picked up one for top-balancing four LF280K cells. Worked smoothly, if sloooowly, and is now doing yeoman service on the bench.

Worked smoothly, if sloooowly, and is now doing yeoman service on the bench.
You will get MUCH faster charging using ring terminals to connect to the cells as opposed to the alligator clips (as seen in the video) which are known to be very limiting.

Back