diy solar

diy solar

Cheap PWM controller load in parallel?

Is this spam?!
Cuz the question has no parameters to derive an answer therefore it is virtually the same as asking, “do you walk to work? Or carry your lunch?”

Sorry there is a link in the post...

It shows a battery box with one of these cheap PWM controllers and a 35Ah AGM battery. Question is about running several of them in parallel, specifically the 'load' or output of the controller. Seems like that would be same as running a battery with BMS in parallel?

71Kgybxo4TL._AC_SX466_.jpg

running several of them in parallel, specifically the 'load' or output of the controller.
You can parallel charge controllers. Not usually referred to that way with ‘dumb’ controllers - other units that allow ‘stacking’ with smart intercommunication are technically in parallel as well.
Seems like that would be same as running a battery with BMS in parallel?
Like as in simile but BMS’s have other functions in practice.

That pwm is $10!!! Not a lot of risk in trying it.
I’m a bit disinclined to buy bottom shelf usually. I’d be much more inclined to buy this. Though I think that’s a good pwm, it’s barely more money to just get one of these mppts instead. And while either are fine, after my initial P30L and considering all factors I bought a 30A with 100VDC VOC and was quite happy with it.

You can parallel charge controllers. Not usually referred to that way with ‘dumb’ controllers - other units that allow ‘stacking’ with smart intercommunication are technically in parallel as well.

Like as in simile but BMS’s have other functions in practice.

That pwm is $10!!! Not a lot of risk in trying it.
I’m a bit disinclined to buy bottom shelf usually. I’d be much more inclined to buy this. Though I think that’s a good pwm, it’s barely more money to just get one of these mppts instead. And while either are fine, after my initial P30L and considering all factors I bought a 30A with 100VDC VOC and was quite happy with it.
Thanks for the comment and agreed, I‘m running the EPEver Tracer AN series in the Solar Shed, very happy with it. Actually have 2 now the second one online for winter to the same battery bank.

Started with the cheap PWM, some used UPS batteries and an ammo box. Still have several of the original Solar Generators kicking around not really used at the moment. Be nice to ‘stack’ them occasionally for more power if required…

Back