diy solar

diy solar

Cheapest and easiest way to keep panels working during a power outage

How about something like this:

If you needed a decent battery to AC couple with a hybrid in your budget ($3k or so right?) you could get the 48v Rhino from BatteryEvo on Black Friday sale. I'm not sure why it's so cheap but they're doing a RHINO70 coupon that knocks it down to about two and a half grand for 14.something kWh. Put that on one of the aforementioned hybrids and you should be good to go. That's enough kWh to get you through a night and hope the sun's up the next day.

If you needed a decent battery to AC couple with a hybrid in your budget ($3k or so right?) you could get the 48v Rhino from BatteryEvo on Black Friday sale. I'm not sure why it's so cheap but they're doing a RHINO70 coupon that knocks it down to about two and a half grand for 14.something kWh. Put that on one of the aforementioned hybrids and you should be good to go. That's enough kWh to get you through a night and hope the sun's up the next day.
Which inverter do I need for this?

Victron MPP Bluewave etc have a rebranded all in one inverter that is supposed to be AC coupled compatible. They're around $1500 on sale. I have to find the 10kw one. It's not as easy to find as the 6kw one.
Batteryevo has a 6kw battery on sale for around $1100.

I think that's the best combination, if it actually works. That comes out to around $2600 plus installation.

Another option would be the batteryevo Walrus, 13kw battery all in one for about $4000 on sale, but I don't think this can be AC coupled. I don't even know how I could get this working in general. How would I even charge it? I would save on installation though if I just use it like a generator back up.

Any thoughts?

Good info about batteryless. My solar is around 11kw system. So I would need 11kw inverter?
Basically, yes.

How about an AC coupled inverter with frequency shifting? That way I can easily add more batteries down the line and solar would work when needed.

Is there an inverter that can be AC coupled that does frequency shifting, so that it turns off the panels when the load is lower than the panel output?
This is a standard part of AC coupling and doesn't change the 1:1 requirement.
Your battery also needs to be able to charge at the same 1:1 ratio as AC coupled frequency adjustment takes time, so the excess energy needs to be able to sink into the battery.

Is it possible to remove the microinverters from the solar panels and just use the raw DC power off the panels themselves?
Can't do that, would cost too much
What if you pulled the micro inverters from just a small subset of panels (maybe 2kw) and ran to a small inverter to build this back up system?

Victron MPP Bluewave etc have a rebranded all in one inverter that is supposed to be AC coupled compatible. They're around $1500 on sale. I have to find the 10kw one. It's not as easy to find as the 6kw one.
That's not a rebranded Victon it's a counterfeit clone.
Another option would be the batteryevo Walrus, 13kw battery all in one for about $4000 on sale, but I don't think this can be AC coupled. I don't even know how I could get this working in general. How would I even charge it? I would save on installation though if I just use it like a generator back up.

Any thoughts?
I agree that one probably doesn't do frequency shift/AC coupling, but it only supports 30 amps of AC charging. So even if it did the support fro AC coupling it couldn't handle your 11kW array.

I'm following this post because I always wondered if my off grid system could turn on my neighbors on grid / micro inverted system if the power failed. Running cables acrossed the street or something.
No answers needed. I'll just keep following and see where this goes. I'm not trying to Hi jack this post.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's still a work in progress, but I think I found a direction. I think you guys are right about a small DC array. Solar panels are much cheaper than batteries right now. For the same price as a 5kw battery, I can get a 5kw solar panel set. Not only can this provide DC power during a grid outage, but I can also have the added benefit of producing more electricity everyday and a much much faster ROI.

I'm leaning towards a batteryless set up. I bought that Bluewave AC coupled inverter and some solar panels. I just have to figure out how to wire them together so that I can turn on the AC array when I want to charge the EV. And for night, I'll just have to run the generator until battery prices come down.

Overall, this is going to put me over budget. But this way it will pay for itself.

There are lots of options for getting panels under $0.30/watt.
Here is an example of brand new Canadian Solar panels, 12kw for around $2643 shipped.

That Bluewave inverter can only handle 7500W though.

Two orientations, and 12kW of panels will peak at 7500W but for more hours.

But you have to dig into exact voltage and current specs of each MPPT to see what you can do.
Some panels fit the inverters I'm planning to use better than others.

Two orientations, and 12kW of panels will peak at 7500W but for more hours.

But you have to dig into exact voltage and current specs of each MPPT to see what you can do.
Some panels fit the inverters I'm planning to use better than others.
Good point. I have around 5kw of panels right now. The inverter MPPT is very flexible, with voltage from 125-550 each x2, so gives me options. I also got 2 sun trackers, but then realized afterwards that it's not realistic to put them on the roof. And my yard is heavily shaded, so I don't know what to do with them now. It's crazy how mounting is more expensive than the panels themselves. Someone should really come up with a cheaper way

20 years ago, trackers cost as much per kWh gained as buying more panels. But was only expected to last 5 years.
That was when panels cost $5/W. Now they can be had for under $0.20/W. And materials for structures have gone up in price.

Some people here have built mounts from treated lumber (have to watch corrosion, isolate the aluminum and use stainless hardware), or salvage oil field pipe.

Cheapest mounts might be Z brackets and screws into the roof. But I want proper flashing, not relying on caulk.

That's not a bad idea. These Z brackets could have saved me a lot of money. But like you said, I wouldn't want to drill these into my roof. Can I just drill them into a sheet of plywood and leave them sitting on top of the flat roof?

Wind will likely catch them and throw them.

One time I laid unistrut from ridge to eave, and lag screwed only at the ends. Flash at the ridge, and if eave leaks no great harm. I recently did that with Unirac rails to mount a couple panels for testing. Both times over shake roof.

This is Unirac's screw and caulk attachment:

I bought he 2-piece standoffs, which use flashing. Haven't mounted them yet. I shopped for bargains.

At least for flat roofs, there are ballasted mounts.
I had thought (based on their advertising) that Solydra's claim to fame was that as the sun passes over the tubes, area presented to sun remains fairly constant. (but they paid for thin-film processing all the way around, so much going to waste except as bifacial.)
Then I learned from an old boss, who had been asked to run the company (declined) that it was wind able to pass around the tubes. So ballasted very effective, no need to make roof penetrations.

Back