diy solar

diy solar

Cheapest drop in lithium iron phosphate battery.

elby brook

I'm on disability and I live on less than $900 a month. I live in an RV and I am trying to set up a solar system. I am looking for the best quality LiFeP04 battery that I can get as cheaply as I can get it. I would love to have a battle born or even renology but that is out of my budget. Does anybody have a suggestion or direction you can point me in? I'm looking for a drop in hundred amp hour 12 volt. Thank you.

Cheapest 100Ah are about $700 delivered.
Costco had sales for about $600.
What is your budget for a 100Ah?

Why not buy a couple lead acids at walmart and exchange them every year under warranty?

Last edited:
Cheapest 100Ah are about $700 delivered.
Costco had sales for about $600.
What is your budget for a 100Ah?
I didn't even think about Costco. I have to get a membership to go in there though.

I found a 138ah Valence 12v on Ebay for just under $600 delivered. Heck of a battery.
Isn't that a used battery and does it have a BMS?
Do you have a link?
I don't know much about the different types of Valance batteries.

Last edited:
I found a 138ah Valence 12v on Ebay for just under $600 delivered. Heck of a battery.
Thank you I'm looking at it now. I'm going to order it tomorrow. It doesn't have a BMS so I'll have to get one do you have a recommendation?

Cant just buy a BMS for it unless you cut it open and rewire it.

Thank you I'm looking at it now. I'm going to order it tomorrow.
It doesn't have a BMS so I'll have to get one do you have a recommendation?
I would do more research on used Valance batteries before buying.
If you are willing to add a BMS you could build a DIY battery from four 3.2 volt cells to get more than 100Ah for the same money.

I would do more research on used Valance batteries before buying.
If you are willing to add a BMS you could build a DIY battery from four 3.2 volt cells to get more than 100Ah for the same money.
The one I'm looking at is 138 amp hour battery with 300 cycles on it. I don't understand why they wouldn't come with a built-in BMS though.

And you're not longer in the "drop in" category either way.
Might as well consider the 280ah cells being bandied about for a group order by Craig.
You will likely have a LOT of folks to learn from (aka copy).
Well I'm new to all this. What would the name of that thread be?

You can buy the valence U1-12RT, it has internal BMS. 40AH...buy 2-3

Isn't that a used battery and does it have a BMS?
Do you have a link?
I don't know much about the different types of Valance batteries.

Does that have a built-in BMS?

View attachment 12084

this is the one I'm looking at. 138 amp hours.

That one is not a drop in replacement. Only the RT series from valence has a BMS.

I use the one youre looking at without a BMS with good results though. The prices are getting outrageous. They used to be $400 shipped. Mine was 11 years old with 750kwh used.

for RV use, especially with a generator, fridge on lpg, and being in the western US, 20-30ah is plenty for daily use. All you need is to get through the night.

Last edited:
That one is not a drop in replacement. Only the RT series from valence has a BMS.

I use the one youre looking at without a BMS with good results though. The prices are getting outrageous. They used to be $400 shipped. Mine was 11 years old with 750kwh used.
I have a Toyota Dolphin and I don't use much energy. Just a couple LED light bulbs a 12 volt fan my phone and my speaker. I have a generator if I want to run my air conditioner. I just want a battery that I don't have to worry about. I have 200 watts of harbor freight solar panels and a harbor freight MPPT.

Back