diy solar

diy solar

China’s BLS batteries

Jake

Has anyone bought LifePo4 batteries from BLS? If so, are they Good Quality or Crap?

I have, all good so far including great packaging and communication.

BLS appears to be a general re-seller selling new cells, used cells and questionable crap. Be sure to thoroughly read the listing to see words such as "new, grade a, etc.".. If not assume otherwise. Also, know the price ranges to expect... if you see something cheaper there's likely a reason.

With that said, the best route is currently the cells & Alibaba relationships being established through this forum. If/when I order again I'd support those efforts.

I believe a few people here have generally had good experiences with BLS, like others have said, they are a reseller not a manufacturer.

Yep, Bought the 190Ah cells before Xmas, they took a whie because of the shutdown, but when they arrived, they were good, new , grade A cells, which capacity tested just above their advertised capacity.. I have them built into a 12v system, waiting to go into my Motorhome.....

Reactions: Dzl
Yep, Bought the 190Ah cells before Xmas, they took a whie because of the shutdown, but when they arrived, they were good, new , grade A cells, which capacity tested just above their advertised capacity.. I have them built into a 12v system, waiting to go into my Motorhome.....

I was considering these batteries for my system. Which BMS would you need to use?

I was considering these batteries for my system. Which BMS would you need to use?

Spend some time poking around the BMS subforum. There are a handful of considerations to consider when choosing a BMS, the cells you choose isn't really of much concern to the BMS.

The first things you need to determine are:
  1. How many cells will be connected in series 4 (12v), 8 (24V), or 16 (48V)
  2. What is the maximum charge and discharge current of your system
Then, you can narrow your search down to BMS' that meet those parameters

The essential and fundamental role of your BMS is 'cell level' monitoring and protection.

Generally speaking the 'big 5' duties your BMS will perform are:
  1. Overvoltage protection (protect your battery from being over-charged)
  2. Undervoltage protection (protect your battery from being over-discharged)
  3. Overcurrent protection
  4. Cell balancing
  5. Low/High temperature protection
Then there are many optional 'nice to have' functions:
  1. Bluetooth
  2. SOC monitoring
  3. various communication features
  4. granular control and user configurable settings
  5. etc
The Daly BMS is the most basic, simple, straightforward BMS popular around here. It does the bare minimum of what a BMS needs to do and literally nothing more (Items 1-4 on the 'big 5' list). Its a good option if you want to build a simple system, and don't need low temperature protection.

The Battery hookup BMS does everything on the 'big 5' list, has bluetooth, and user configurable parameters, its more complicated than the Daly, but enough people use it that you should be able to get help if you need it

The chargery BMS is the most full featured and advanced with the most bells and whistles, including state of charge monitoring, it is the highest quality of the three but its also a bit more complex. It lacks bluetooth (coming soon apparently), but otherwise has all the features mentioned in both lists.

The SBMS0 is another full featured high quality option but for advanced users only.

I've been using 16* 200AH cells from BLS for over 6 months. We are completely off grid, therefore they are our sole day to day storage. I use them with a solark 8k inverter. They have been faultless so far. As I'm developing land I have a makeshift worshop and often use some high current tools. (240v 225amp welder and s cut50 plasma cutter) I'll often boost them up with an 80amp charge from the generator. We have really been testing this setup as a trial, trying to understand any limitations and get a grasp on how to scale. I'd have no hesitation at the moment scaling up with these batteries.
My only mistake was the Daly BMS, I purchased a separate port by mistake with a low discharge. So I ended up putting in a bypass that I can switch when running the high loads. I just received a replacement 200AH common port BMS, yet to install it.
Also the solark has s corrected AH value, it determines this over time based on consumption over SOC. Mines currently at 209AH

Last edited:
Back