diy solar

diy solar

CHINS 200 AH Lithium Battery always show fully charged with no load

America964

My CHINS 200 AH Lithium Battery always show fully charged with no load even if it's drained. Only under some load my Renogy Solar controller can read the actual charge. I unplugged everything, plugged in my trickle charger and my the charger reads it at 100 % charged. Anything I can do to fix this problem or do you think some glitch with the batteries management system?

The only thing that can accurately report state of charge is a battery monitor that is programmed properly for your battery.

LFP batteries operate in a higher voltage range that is higher than the resting voltage of a fully charged lead-acid battery (about 12.8V).

Devices that report charge based on voltage are always wrong.

If you want a truly accurate measure of your battery state of charge, you need to install a battery monitor.

The first three are worth considering.

first three are worth considering
The first two, the third with hall effect sensor is not bi directional,will only read charge or discharge not both, so not a monitor. Useful for capacity testing.
Put this as number 3,

The SOC reading on the Renogy solar charge controller is inaccurate since its based on voltage.

It's also possible that the battery is entering protection mode, at near full charge due to cell overvolts or when discharged due to low cell volts. When under protection the voltage seen at the terminals may not indicate true battery voltage.
Recovery from overvolt protection will occur if a small load is applied .
If discharge to a low SOC has caused protection the applying a power source over 12.5 volts will cause recovery. Some chargers will not function if a suitable voltage is not 'seen' by the charger so won't cause recovery.

The first two, the third with hall effect sensor is not bi directionalwill only read charge or discharge not both, so not a monitor. Useful for capacity testing.

Yes it is. I've owned one for nearly three years and used it recently for my self-discharge thread to correlate to the BMS/CL800 meter.

I think Will's comments were specific to conducting a discharge test. If it's backwards, you won't see Wh counting up when at 100%.

Back