diy solar

diy solar

Chins 24V 3000W Inverter manual?

Fantastic. Seems like there are a bunch of these out in the world. Are they any good? Any tips, tricks and notes? My application is a small off grid cabin. Running four 200W panels in series to two 12V chins batteries in series.

Lots of good stuff. Won’t be grid tied since there is none. Thinking about your thoughts about idle consumption. Kind of scary how much a small constant draw can eat most the output of 400 watts of panels.

Grid tie, versus grid assist, versus no grid, are all separate types of systems to setup. If you are going no grid at all you may be better served with individual components instead of an AIO if idle consumption is a problem. You do give up the level of integration that an off grid AIO can give you.

You sorta need to first decide how much you want to power and than decide how you are going to power it. In that calculation you need to be aware of system losses and that many of the manufacturing specs for things are not what you will get in the real world. In my solar hobby I rather have came at it backwards in that I bought some things and tested them to see what I could get. I then altered and changed them as time and money to buy new solar items came along. As my system grows I work towards taking more loads off grid and onto PV.

When you have cheap grid power like I do the focus will be very different than those that need a reliable source of daily power.

I hear you about coming at the thing backwards. We've been running primarily without electric at our camp for thirty years. So really just building up and then will figure out what to do with the power when we have it. Don't really want to loose it all to parasitic drains though. One way of mitigating some will be to shut down the unit at night. A timer circuit when not around. Also wonder if there's a way of completely switching the inverter off (when not needed) to reduce drain while the MPPT is running. At the end of the day the difference in price between buying separate charger and inverter buys maybe 400 watts of extra panels. In any event the AIO is on its way so I'll see what I can do with it.

So I received my Chins HF2430U60-100 SRNE AIO inverter. Looking for info/ best options for remote access and software. Is the "Solar-Station-Monitor-Inverter-PC-V1.6." available on SRNE's site the best option? Chin's web site has pretty much no info. Looking at what looks like Renogy's rebadge they mention their BT-2 adapter. On SRNE's site I found they have a BT-2 adapter as well though they do not reference its suitability with the HF series AIO units. USB, RS485, Bluetooth? ? Which option gives the most information and control? Can connect with pc or iPhone. Windows, Linux or IOS. Can I plug a rj45 cable from the rs485 port directly into a PC or is their a wiring difference?

Far as I know the only option is the SRNE monitoring software connected through a USB to printer plug cable than AIO. It runs on Windows only (I use Win 7) and is a bit of a hassle to get working until you figure it out. I almost never use it.

The SmartESS cloud monitoring (uses a dongle like this to connect rs485 to wifi) is adequate. You can monitor production, consumption, etc. and also control a few parameters remotely.

I’ve heard good things about Solar Assistant which has a far richer set of data capture and control features.

Far as I know the only option is the SRNE monitoring software connected through a USB to printer plug cable than AIO. It runs on Windows only (I use Win 7) and is a bit of a hassle to get working until you figure it out. I almost never use it.
I got the monitoring software working, need to enable the RS485 output in setting 32, it is disabled by default. No luck with the Rs485 to BLE dongle yet.

Back